Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VOIP phone with landline number

fiberfan
4: Newbie

Vodafone tell me the router has VOIP capabilities so I buy one of the cheap AudioCodes 420HD phones on ebay connect it up and all I see on the LCD display on the phone is LANLINK failure. On the phone to them they say I needed to reset the router, 15 mins later still no good with the flashing white LED for phone. Analogue is fine of course

Has anyone managed to successfully get a VOIP phone working as their landline number ?

4 REPLIES 4

HelpfulBadger
11: Established
11: Established

Hi FiberFan,

When Vodafone say that the router supports VoIP calling (or that they've moved over to a VoIP phone system for their "landline" and broadband service), they mean that the analogue telephone adapter is built into the router, and you can use your normal phone by plugging it into one of the TEL ports on the router - While they (assumeduly), like other ISPs support VoIP calls on VoIP handsets, you would need to arrange the service yourself, or use the settings for Vodafone's VoIP (I seem to recall a forum post around with the details, but I can't link it at the moment)

Yes ok I see.... They said they would enable the VOIP settings their end. but nothing changed. So VOIP HD calling using your landline number is not possible or is it ? If you find the tink please post it but surely they should do all this not the 'customer' all very bizarre. They say their VOIP service will not cost any more btw 

When you're plugging your analogue phone into the routers TEL port, you're using Vodafone's VoIP service, the router is converting it from VoIP to Analogue via a terminal adapter which is built into it.

Re: Landline phone with own router on FTTP - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

That's the link to the forum post discussing how to use details you can get from Vodafone to use your own equipment with your VoIP landline number, although if you're using the Vodafone supplied router there isn't much point, and it may well be blocked (it might only allow one connection at a time, which the router would almost certainly do before any other device could).

For the bog standard set up Vodafone have done all the work, I think there's been a bit of confusion between understanding what's been said, and Vodafone's support is known for not being the best which probably hasn't helped from either side! As for HD VoIP, I have no idea, sorry

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The only VoIP devices anyone (AFAIK) has got to work with Vodafone's VoIP service are those from Grandstream.

Any other VoIP phones will work, but will require a different VoIP service.