Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Best comms. solution for a church?

Alan-N
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All, I'm trying to set up a system so that services in a church can be 'Zoomed'.

No phone line in there, or nearby wi-fi, and it needs to be a bit more sophisticated than sending from a single mobile phone, so I'm thinking that a mobile router with sim card will do the comms. job.  The system will be on-line for a couple of hours a week. All the 'sim' options are quite bewildering.  Is payg best? or a contract? What costs could be expected?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

2 REPLIES 2

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Alan-N Our cheapest GigaCube plan at the moment is £30 a month for 100GB, which being honest with you is way too much data for what you're after 👎 Have you already got a dongle at all that you could put a Pay as You Go data SIM into? 

Thanks Josh, we're still at the early stages of this, so just exploring options at the moment.  I guess a service will probably be only a few GB maximum, based on my estimate of 1Mbps transmission rate over an hour being 3600Mb, which is 0.4GB, per hour.  Probably using a mobile router (not a dongle), so a payg sim sounds good in concept as we'd only pay for what we use, rather than a monthly contract where the data allowance is much higher than needed..

One other factor is 'whose network covers our area best?' too, as the building has thick stone walls which are very RF-unfriendly and so a good strong signal is important.  Needs a sensitive mast as close as possible for the outgoing RF signal too.  Maybe we'll have to hang the router out the window...

Many thanks for your helpful comments.