Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigacube and WiFi 6

Doonhamer5
2: Seeker

Has anyone tried the new WiFi 6 Mesh set-up?  I've been using Gigacube 4G with cheap extenders, which is OK but there are a few problems.  My Apple TV pauses during streaming on iPlayer but I also wondered if that's to do with too many gadgets with the TV.

I was wondering whether the upgrade (eventually expecting fibre broadband this year) is worth it?  Looking at Linksys Velop WiFi 6 Tri-Band.  Anybody tried this?

5 REPLIES 5

abewa1

Did you try out a mesh?

I just bought a Gigacube and tried it with an old power line extender. WiFi in the other room is good but I think it was causing some interference overall (sometimes it would take awhile for a website to load when browsing using WiFi. 

I was thinking of ordering a WiFi 6 mesh. 

Hello!  Yes, I took the plunge and went with Linksys WiFi6.  What a difference - it really does help.  I've set the Gigacube to be LAN-only (it still transmits wifi 2/5, but I changed the password so that nobody uses it) and Linksys does all the rest.  I don't need to worry about anything anymore - both my video calls and TV streaming are much better than before.

... should also say that sometimes there can still be a delay with web pages.  They don't like when your actual location (SW Scotland) and access location (London) causes confusion with a "landline".  That can disappear if you are using your phone itself.

Glad it worked out. I’m going to try one out too. 

Out of interest, why did you disable WiFi on the Gigacube? Does it prevent some issues around devices not knowing which to latch onto?

BTW, I had a call with VF support due to the delay in web pages loading. He got me to swap the SIM in the Gigacube with the one from my phone (also VF). Since I swapped the SIMs back I’ve not had the issue (touch wood). Mentioned this to him just now and he said this can help reset things and reduce latency.  He said sticking a pin into the reset hole does the same thing. 

That's quite interesting about the SIM, but it's not something I can try out - my phone is using an e-SIM!  Anyway, I do need to ring Vodafone as my limit needs to be extended beyond 300GB.

I didn't disable the wifi on Gigacube, as it would have meant quite a bit of fiddling around.  I had expected a 'turn off WiFi' but not that easy.  I wanted to turn it off because I wanted the Linksys system to do all the work without allowing Gigacube to make it double-NAT, allocating everything too.  Someone suggested on a separate thread on ISPreview to set it to LAN-only and then Gigacube doesn't attempt to allocate IP addresses. Seems to work fine.  The Gigacube wifi does still exist but I refuse to let anything access it that way, and there are no issues as of yet.  Remember to change the password so that nothing can access it the old way.

I did hope that the mesh would extend further than before.  It doesn't really - but for the same size of area it's much better and reliable than before.