cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K5161Z connects to network but cannot access internet (web). Any ideas?

AmandaJameson
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

I've got a K5161z dongle on my Windows 11 laptop. According to the lights (flashing blue) and the status page (192.168.6.1) it has a good 4G connection (4/5 bars, green connection icon, very small amounts of data uploading and downloading).

BUT I can't get the web browser to load a page, not even vodafone.co.uk. 

If I ping vodafone.co.uk then it does get do the DNS successfully [54.73.65.65] but the ping itself times out.

If I disconnect from the 4G network then the DNS does not resolve, so the network is clearly working on some level but not such that I can connect to a web page.

I'm suspicious of the default, automatic APN settings which are called 'Other Pay Monthly' because my balance is PAYG.

It's set to wap.vodafone.co.uk / PAP authentication / web / web

It seems to be connecting and 'working' as far as the hardware is concerned, but something somewhere seems to be preventing me accessing the web. I have a chunky PAYG balance on my account, so its not that I've run out of credit. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?  

1 REPLY 1

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

You mention you have a chunky PAYG balance @AmandaJameson , if you have not yet purchased a data pack with the credit this needs to be completed , you should be able to queue data packs and the following data data will kick in when the previous one is exhausted.  Follow this link:  Buy a data pack online 

If you continue to have problems live chat will be in a position to help.