Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Traffic Throttling/Shaping on UDP Port 443

jimbob2856
2: Seeker

I use VF mobile broadband SIMs in my 4G/LTE router.  Up and down rates are circa 30Mbps.  I can download a 100MB test file (e.g. from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download) in approximately 15 seconds.

However, when I then connect to my company using Cisco Anyconnect on my laptop (using SSL UDP port 443) ...  *** and still via the VF 4G mobile broadband network ***... the same file download takes 10minutes.

If I swap the VF SIM with a SIM from a different mobile carrier, the download is again ~15 seconds with (or without) Cisco AnyConnect.

This leads me to conclude VF are proactively shaping / throttling traffic using UDP port 443 on their mobile braodband service.

Is this expected.

My thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

jimbob2856

I use VF mobile broadband SIMs in my 4G/LTE router.  Up and down rates are circa 30Mbps.  I can download a 100MB test file (e.g. from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download) in approximately 15 seconds.

However, when I then connect to my company using Cisco Anyconnect (using SSL UDP port 443) ...  *** and still via the VF 4G mobile broadband ***... the same file download takes 10minutes.

If I swap the VF SIM with a SIM from a different mobile carrier, the download is again ~15 seconds with (or without) Cisco AnyConnect.

This leads me to conclude VF are proactively shaping / throttling traffic using UDP port 443 on their mobile braodband service.

Is this expected.

My thanks in advance.

James (CCIE, Consulting Engineer @Cisco UK)

Why do you want to use Cisco Anyconnect if the speed is already good without it ?

mbames
13: Advanced Member

I'd guess to access equipment located within a secure (ie. private) network!

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

O dear this sounds really bad . What will vodafone do any this issue 

> Why do you want to use Cisco Anyconnect if the speed is already good without it ?

This is exactly the kind of unhelpful response I expected to see here.

I have a similar problem; using a UDP VPN that grants me access to a private network for work purposes that uses port 9993, so I don't believe it is port specific, but rather protocol specific. I also observe that over time the packet loss (and therefore throughput) degrades further.

I had exactly the same problem on Three. Presumably this is to prevent P2P file sharing, but seriously affects legitimate use cases. I won't be renewing. And I don't expect any useful response from Voda.