Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone E172 With Vpn

luke.davis
Not applicable
Hi, I hope someone can help...

We currently use the Vodafone mobile connect E172 device for remote users to connect to the internet and then in to the VPN and on to our Domain. We have started having problems with this since switching to USB 3G cards.

My issue is that because of the way windows controls the domain groups, this security information is only updated if a user is connected to the VPN before going though the windows login procedure. Windows does however provide a box to tick before logging in that will allow the user to "Login using Dial-Up Connection" this would then mean that we can connect to the network and connect to the VPN before logging in. I have set this up but now get a error message when starting the connection. (This is at the login screen).

"Error 692: Hardware Failure in the Modem"

Has anybody seen/resolved this before, any help would be appreciated, the modem works fine by the way if the user is logged on.

Thanks
Luke
13 REPLIES 13

luke.davis
Not applicable
Anyone around that might be able to look into this?

RetiredTom
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi Luke,

Sorry for the delay! We do have your post logged and will be with you as soon as possible :)

Tom

eForum Team

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey Luke,

I've done a bit of research and on Microsoft's website, they are saying that the problem could be a number of things, amongst them are:

The serial port or multiport adapter on the RAS server or client is malfunctioning.
The handshaking options for the modem are incorrectly configured.
or the modem .inf files become corrupted or the modem driver becomes corrupted.

Microsoft suggests that you would need to uninstall the device, and start the laptop up again and the OS will then re-install the correct drivers.

If you could give this a go and let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

LeeH
eForum Team

luke.davis
Not applicable
Hey Luke,

I've done a bit of research and on Microsoft's website, they are saying that the problem could be a number of things, amongst them are:

The serial port or multiport adapter on the RAS server or client is malfunctioning.
The handshaking options for the modem are incorrectly configured.
or the modem .inf files become corrupted or the modem driver becomes corrupted.

Microsoft suggests that you would need to uninstall the device, and start the laptop up again and the OS will then re-install the correct drivers.

If you could give this a go and let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

LeeH
eForum Team

There is not a problem with the Modem or drivers as the device works when the user is logged on.

I have tried uninstalling the device and have tried on 2 other laptops and get the same results.

Any more ideas?

luke.davis
Not applicable
Can anybody shed any light on this?

RetiredTom
Hi Luke,

We do have your post logged and will be with you as soon as possible :)

Tom

eForum Team

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
There is not a problem with the Modem or drivers as the device works when the user is logged on.

I have tried uninstalling the device and have tried on 2 other laptops and get the same results.

Any more ideas?

Hi Luke,

This sounds to me like it could be permission related. Was the modem installed under the users profile originally? Ideally you want to install the modem under the machine's Adminsitrator account, so that all other users inherit the settings from it. You will also need to make an intial connection so that the modem writes the DUN settings to file. You can then log out of the Admin account and it should work as expected.

If this fails, the only other solution will be to tweak how your roaming profiles work. We have a similar problem when working from home - we need to first log in to the laptop while connected locally to our network, in order to transfer our profile to the laptop. Once this is done, we then switch the profile from roaming to local. This will allow you to log on, even though you're not connected to the network. You can then dial-out, VPN in, and you're away.

I trust this of some use to you :)

Jon

eForum Team

luke.davis
Not applicable
Hi Luke,

This sounds to me like it could be permission related. Was the modem installed under the users profile originally? Ideally you want to install the modem under the machine's Adminsitrator account, so that all other users inherit the settings from it. You will also need to make an intial connection so that the modem writes the DUN settings to file. You can then log out of the Admin account and it should work as expected.

If this fails, the only other solution will be to tweak how your roaming profiles work. We have a similar problem when working from home - we need to first log in to the laptop while connected locally to our network, in order to transfer our profile to the laptop. Once this is done, we then switch the profile from roaming to local. This will allow you to log on, even though you're not connected to the network. You can then dial-out, VPN in, and you're away.

I trust this of some use to you :)

Jon

eForum Team

The device was installed under an administrator account and we have made an initial connection. The account that is logging in also has administrative privledges.

Not sure if you have understood the question.......

We want to be able to dial a connection using the modem, before the user logs in, and by using the "Log on using a Dial-Up Connection" option in windows. Is this not possible with these cards?

Has anyone else been able to use this tick box with a 3G modem?

Thanks
Luke

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Luke

Unfortunately this isn't possible but could you try what Jon has suggested above as this is something similar to how we need to work when we work out of the office

''Jon's Post - If this fails, the only other solution will be to tweak how your roaming profiles work. We have a similar problem when working from home - we need to first log in to the laptop while connected locally to our network, in order to transfer our profile to the laptop. Once this is done, we then switch the profile from roaming to local. This will allow you to log on, even though you're not connected to the network. You can then dial-out, VPN in, and you're away."

Let me know how that goes and if you have any more questions please let me know

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team