Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

5G Ultra || iOS 18 || 5G Standalone Greyed Out - Solved

Redski
6: Helper
6: Helper

After over an hour to 191 and no clear solution, fix or confidence in getting the ability to use the 5G Ultra on the plan if taken out two weeks ago, I resorted to , Chat GPT and solved the issue with 5G Ultra now enabled on my iPhone 15 Pro Max running iOS 18 and wanted to share here incase it helps anyone that’s experiencing the same issue and save the pain of being on hold, triaged and asked to do a bunch of irrelevant actions that won’t fix you via 191.

Problem : Have a 5G Ultra plan and the 5G standalone option in iOS 18 is greyed out and so cannot be enabled. 

Fix : I was trying to run it on my existing, plastic physical SIM card which was the issue. So, I went into Settings > SIM and Convert to eSIM. I had to run it twice as it failed the first time. Second go was successful. Once I converted my physical, plastic SIM to an eSIM and rebooted my iPhone the 5G Standalone option was available and I could activate it.

Hooe it helps someone else the onerous and frustrating UX I had to go through !

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

andrewd71
4: Newbie

Thanks for the tip, worked first time for me (took about 2 minutes to activate) and now have 5g Standalone enabled.

Im pleased its been able to help someone else, thanks for letting me know !

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing this @Redski - It's great that it's worked for you as well @andrewd71 😊