Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SO23 - Winchester

highpriest
4: Newbie

Anyone else in SO22/SO23 Winchester experiencing extremely poor 4G speeds? I've been struggling for months with poor 4G speeds in Winchester (in the city centre mainly). Contacted Vodafone via Twitter - no help at all. Contacted CS and I've gone through every single troubleshooting technique (reset network settings, change APN, re-register sim with network, etc. etc.) in the book and nothing has helped.

===========

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

SO22 (home) less affected, SO23 (work) is particularly bad. If I move outside of Winchester City Centre (even just a few miles), 4G data speeds can jump to as much as 50 Mbps down, 20 Mbps up.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

SO23 8US

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Phone shows full 4G signal. Calls are unaffected but data speeds are extremely poor. There's quite a bit of variation, but speeds could be as low as 250 Kbps and sometimes between 1-2 Mbps. Upload speeds are not affected to the same degree. Speed tests show 4 or 5 Mbps upload.

Sometimes it is so bad that the speed test app will fail to even locate a server to run a speed test against and just give up.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

Not tried 2G or 3G (and don't ask me to). Problem is with 4G.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

A few months ago (Q3 2017).

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent. Data speeds range from non-existent to ultra-slow. Everything buffers constantly or just times out and gives up.

I use an iPhone 8 Plus.

168 REPLIES 168

I live in central Winchster, and interestingly, I had performed a Speed Test this morning at 07:30 - and got 4.25Mbps down and 5.07Mbps up (yes, up was faster than down).

I repeated it just now (19:00) and got 1.65Mbps down and 1.26Mbps up.

Not really very good, is it? My best ever was 108Mbps down and 40.9Mbps up ... but that was in Newbury!

I see the same too - upload speed is often better. Just ran a test now at Badger Farm.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/3366958578

Decent upload speed, but download is practically useless.

Much the same here. See recent speed tests attached...oops, can only attach one at a time...but sorry story remains the same.  I now have to switch 4G off every time I walk out of my front door into town (advice from VF shop staff)...

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @highpriest, we're committed to providing the best speeds possible, because no wants to be without. I've checked and one of your local masts 37132 is undergoing some work at the moment, which might be causing a little extra disruption. When did you first notice your speeds dropping again? 

I don't think I've experienced good speeds in central Winchester for many years now. However, in the last 3 or 4 weeks, it has been especially dreadful. Doing even basic stuff takes ages. Watching a YouTube video without constant buffering is a near impossibility these days.

Are there any plans to improve service, capacity and coverage for Winchester? Some areas are seeing massive improvements (rollout of 4G+ and 5G) while we struggle with basic data coverage. What will it take for things to get better here?

Hi @highpriest, I have checked your local site (37132) and can see that we need to get this raised with our network engineers to investigate further. So we can do this can you get in touch by Facebook or Twitter 

Done (Facebook Messenger).

Please do keep us posted @highpriest.

I was told on FB messenger that the work is due for completion on the 4th of August at 6 PM. If anything, it has made it worse.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/3380226589

I give up.

Agreed, my phone has 4G switched off whenever in town now.

I don’t know what it would take to get it fixed, but our efforts certainly seem wasted.!!