Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Digital Art - My Progress

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

inkscape logo.PNGAs a long time contributor to the Vodafone eForum, it’s quite understandable that people will think that Community Champions like myself; eat, sleep and think of nothing else but Phones, phones and more phones…!

While it’s true I do love all things Tech, I thought it might be interesting for you guys to see what I get upto away from the craziness of Forum life…

One of my main hobbies and all time favourite pastimes, is drawing Digital Art.

Some time ago I came across a program called Inkscape It is a Vector Graphics software similar to Adobe Illustrator, with one main difference; it’s Free!

Inkscape can be used on ALL Operating Systems. You can even customise it to your own liking if you have programming knowledge.

using inkscape_dark.PNG

Dark version of Inkscape available from Partha’s Place

Traditionally Vector images would be used for Icon design and Web graphics. However there is a growing movement to push the limits of what can be produced with this software.

People like myself are starting to produce Artwork and Photo realistic images that you would normally associate with Photoshop.

I started using Inkscape properly about 18 months ago. My first attempts were very basic in their construction but I was determined to produce lifelike images, especially Cars with light reflecting body work.

bear.png

This “Bear” was one of my early attempts at using Inkscape. I had watched lots of Youtube Video’s on using Gradients to give a 3D effect to objects.

I remember being so pleased with myself. I think it must have been from that point I knew I wanted to do more and improve.

I started to look around for objects that hopefully wouldn’t be too difficult for me to draw…

recorder.png 

I found my Daughters old Recorder, it had a really nice fake wood effect.

As soon as I saw it, I knew it was “Challenge accepted”.

I think it took me about 3 days (well, 3 evenings) to get the colour and light reflections to the point where I was happy.

This “Recorder” was taking me in the direction I wanted to go. I was starting to see that Photo realism might just be within my reach?

me_avatar.pngThe next several Months were spent practicing and learning as much as I could:

I even created some Avatars for myself and some of the other guys here on the Forum.nabs.png

The next project was a real labour of love… It was way beyond what I was capable of doing but I had this burning desire to draw this particular Car.

I had been to a local Vintage Car show and taken lots and lots of Photos. (Photography being another hobby of mine)carwheel.png

There was a beautiful “Austin 7” in the lineup in beige and black. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to paint it, or at least try my best!

I decided to approach the project in the same way as I would editing a Photo, using Layers.

This would allow me to organise objects in front of, or behind other objects, helping to give me a truly 3D and Photo realistic effect to the finished picture.

The whole project took me over 60 hours! I don’t mind admitting it was the most frustrating but most rewarding thing, I think I’ve ever done?

I must have spent about 20 hours on the reflection in the front wing alone… I probably restarted that over 100 times!

Austin7.jpg 

My next project was another picture I had wanted to do for a log time.

In my Teens I had owned a Vespa 90 Super Sprint. My biggest regret is that I sold it to get money to buy a car. (The stupid things we do, when we are young…!)

I was particularly pleased with this result because the reference photo I had was of the Scooter sprayed in grey “Primer” undercoat. I was in the middle of prepping the scooter for a respray when I sold it.

Scooter.jpg

This is how I imagined my Scooter would look when it was finished. This is a really emotional picture for me, it makes me sad and happy at the same time...

I always had a dream of riding across Europe, so this is how I imagined the scenery would look while taking a pitstop.

The New Series of Doctor Who with Peter Capaldi inspired my next couple of images.Tardis.png

The Tardis was particularly hard because it was made using shades of blue only. (except the background of course)

The Sonic Screwdriver is one of my personal favourites.

I would love one of those TV remote versions you can buy… How amazing would that be?

SonicSrewdriver.png

Recently I have become interested in Manga Cartoons. One of my favourites is called “Sword Art Online - S.A.O.”

So I did lots of research on Manga style drawing and how to construct Manga Characters.

Manga.png

Using a printed reference photo was really helpful with this project because I could draw pencil lines on the print and then copy those lines in Inkscape.

As you can See in the picture, Layers are really important to me in the construction of Digital Art. It’s a bit like building up layers of paint; but with digital art you can turn layer visibility on and off!

kirito.png 

I hope you have enjoyed this little trip into my non Forum hobby?

Why not have a go yourself? It won’t cost you anything to try!

nodesandstuff.pngVisit my Facebook Page “nodesandstuff” to see all my Art in HD quality.

Wink.gif

9 REPLIES 9

Retired-Simon
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks to @thesoupdragon I now know this programme exists. :smileyvery-happy:

Some great pics there. It's impressive that if you're prepared to put a bit time and effort in, you can come up with great drawings like this.

I love the scooter picture and what it means to you. Also loving the sonic screwdriver!

Keep up the good work and I hope you share some more pieces soon.

Simon

thesoupdragon
Cheers Simon, really pleased you like the pictures.

Are you going to try Inkscape for yourself?

For sure @thesoupdragon I'm going to give it a try.

I can't quite promise any masterpieces, but I'm interested in giving it a go. :smileylol:

Nabs

This is really impressive @thesoupdragon 

I've never used Inkscape but have some basic experience with Adobe illustrator from a few years ago.

Have you ever used Illustrator?

N

thesoupdragon
@Retired-Simon
I will be really interested to see how you get on with Inkscape, it's very addictive! 😊

@Nabs
Cheers Nabs, I do have Adobe Illustrator CS6, It can be a little over complicated at times.
The main problem is cost; you either have to justify the cost or be lucky like me and have a generous friend with no need to use an Adobe licence... 😉

Will you be trying Inkscape Nabs?

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@thesoupdragon - I would try it but you actually have to some artistic ability to start with! LOL

PWIAC

thesoupdragon
@drey_p

You might be surprised?
The great thing about Vector graphics is, they can be resized without any loss of quality. So you can make very simple icons or buttons for web sites.
Icon Art has become very popular recently with people creating custom icons for Android Launchers. So it's not all about the fancy stuff 😉
You could evan make a simple "For Sale" sign to print out.

@thesoupdragon
Can I screenshot your NFT?

That's a good start!