Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Digital Voice : Phones not ringing

fleddy
3: Seeker

Hi,

I've just been moved to Digital Voice, a couple of days ago, as part of a contract renewal (I was offered a £18/m discount, which I think was a mistake but VF agreed to honour it).

Anyway, all has gone well, I've a new static IP, my VoIP is all working ok BUT my old POTS line, now digital voice, doesn't ring.

I can make calls via the phones (I have an old BT Tribune and a Gigaset DECT N300A) and if I pick-up while dialling them, the call is made and I can speak (to myself/wife). BUT no Ringtone. They're plugged into the TEL1 and TEL2 sockets. I can see VoIP traffic on the event log suggesting the SIP number is being called (obviously I can answer the phone).

For the Tribune, I'm using VF supplied adapter and on the N300A, just an RJ11 to RJ11 cable.

I've just spent 90 minutes on https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd chat with another agent and I'm pulling my hair out.

At one point I was told the adapter wouldn't work with a DECT phone and I'd need to buy a DigitalVoice compatible phone.

Has any one else had this problem?

I did tell them (I've some VoIP experience) that it is the VF router or it's configuration. But they're going to send me a new adapter... Arrgh.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

fleddy

Okay, I borrowed a neighbours phone, which did work on his BT DigitalVoice connection on his router and...

... it worked here too. So, my phones are TOO OLD for DigitalVoice ??? Both are marked REN = 1 like my neighbours phone

but, they just don't ring. I was able to switch phones while ringing my number and only his phone rang. So, it's my old crappy equipment. Which was a bit of a surprise.

Annoyingly during the LONG call, the engineer had me reset the VF router... on which I'd set up all my device IPs etc and port forwards as a backup. I'll be going back to my DrayTek (w/o a backup but... another day).

So be warned DV might need newer handsets. The Tribune is probably 20 years old, but the N300A are still being sold.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

fleddy

Okay, I borrowed a neighbours phone, which did work on his BT DigitalVoice connection on his router and...

... it worked here too. So, my phones are TOO OLD for DigitalVoice ??? Both are marked REN = 1 like my neighbours phone

but, they just don't ring. I was able to switch phones while ringing my number and only his phone rang. So, it's my old crappy equipment. Which was a bit of a surprise.

Annoyingly during the LONG call, the engineer had me reset the VF router... on which I'd set up all my device IPs etc and port forwards as a backup. I'll be going back to my DrayTek (w/o a backup but... another day).

So be warned DV might need newer handsets. The Tribune is probably 20 years old, but the N300A are still being sold.

Glad you got it diagnosed. I appreciate the depth of information in both your posts and will make a note of some of the stuff you mentioned. It's the kind of information that could be useful in the future 😊🙏