Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Inundated with voicemail text spam

MrsKPNut
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi folks I'm getting between 1 and 5 of these texts which contain links. They look like a voicemail text at a glance but you know pretty quickly they are spam as they come from mobile numbers. Since I started reporting them to 7726 though I'm getting more. All from different numbers. Any other ideas to stop them. Blocking makes no difference as there are multiple numbers. 

14 REPLIES 14

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

This affects all of us @MrsKPNut , you can just bet the numbers are spoofed.  These texts are generated by a computer to random mobile numbers, the networks just can't keep up with them, as soon as the SIM is located they just go and get another and start again.

Apart from forwarding the message to 7726, and deleting and ignoring the message there is little you can do to stop these pests.

So not worth changing my number then? 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I understand how frustrating these text message are, I've received a few myself. We can change your number for your @MrsKPNut You'd just need to drop us a message on social media with your full name and mobile number. 

However, this wouldn't ensure that these texts will stop unfortunately ☹️ I would suggest to follow the advice @AnnS has provided and continue to report the text messages to 7726.

I think a new number would help for a while as I am getting 5+ a day. In addition I'm getting 5 spam calls a day on average too.  Could I make my current number a pay as you go one? It would be useful to keep it for a while. 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

If you drop us a message on social media via the link I provided above we can look into a number change for you 🙂 @MrsKPNut - You can request to move over to Pay as you Go if you're currently on a Pay Monthly contract. You'd just need to give our team a call on 191 (from a Vodafone number), 0808 040 8408 (from an alternative number) and livechat. If you are still in contract you may have an early exit fee to pay when moving to Pay as you Go.

I used to get these. The way I stopped it was by answering the spam calls and playing along with the scam. Essentially, you just waste their time and when they ask for your personal details just make it up. 

Eventually, they will put you on a black list and the texts and calls will stop.

If you are being targeted by more than one call center it will take a couple of go's for them to black list you.

Obviously, never ever give them any factual personal information, they are fraudsters trying to get money or steal your data. Never allow them to log in to your PC.

It's more texts than calls I'm getting though they are relentless and they are disguised as missed calls with a voice mail 

I used to get spam texts from a fake amazon call center. I just called the number and kept asking them for free gift cards from calcutta. Eventually they blocked me and my number. The texts stopped after that.

We can get it changed for you @sarwatkazmi - we can't guarantee it'd stop spam messages or calls. 

If you'd like us to take a look, please just pop my team a message on social media - don't forget to include your Community username and a link to your post, to save you having to repeat yourself 🙂