Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

News : Fake Chargers.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Source : BBC News.

Link > Fake Apple chargers fail safety tests.

Excerpt from the link.....

"Investigators have warned consumers they face potentially fatal risks after 99% of fake Apple chargers failed a basic safety test.
Trading Standards, which commissioned the checks, said counterfeit electrical goods bought online were an "unknown entity".

Of 400 counterfeit chargers, only three were found to have enough insulation to protect against electric shocks.

It comes as Apple has complained of a "flood" of fakes being sold on Amazon.
"

My Thoughts. 

I've come across people over time both on forums and who I know who have decided to purchase an extra charger to compliment the one supplied with the phone to be able to not have to move / carry the one supplied originally around.

i.e In another room or use at work or have bought one to be able to fast charge. 

I recently bought a Fast Charging Stand for my Samsung Galaxy s7 edge and upon reciept found it to be a fake so returned it straight away, and then purchased one from the Samsung Online Store. 

My advice is to look at the Official Online Stores from the manufacturer or Network.

Or if local and convenient visit your Highstreet Stores. 

They may cost a bit more but that's well worth the peace of mind and full manufacturing warranty, and the fact that it's most probably better quality, tested and works as intended. 

This involves both the Plug and Charging Cord as most now pull apart for data cable use.

And portable power banks and Battery Phone Cases. 

Be safe. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

3 REPLIES 3

hrym

This has been going on for some time - I remember seeing a piece in BBC1's Fake Britain about it over a year ago.   I can't believe it's confined to Apple chargers and I'd be very careful with any charger not bought from a very reputable source.  That said, I've got what look like genuine Samsung and Sony chargers bought on eBay that seem to be absolutely fine, but I'm very nervous about the generic one I also have and have never used it!

It's also wise never to leave a charger switched on when unattended, or any device while it's charging.

BandOfBrothers

When I bought a charger online that was reported to be genuine I double checked with Samsung in regards to the serial number on it and forwarded on detailed photos of it to them. They confirmed they are genuine. 

The Samsung Desktop charger was clearly fake as it didn't allow fast charging and had no internal fan in it. :Sad_face:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

Internal fan, eh?   There's posh!   My Samsung job is very old and only 500ma.   I've been using the Sony one as a travel charger for ages, so I reckon it's OK.

Price can be something of a guide - if it's too cheap, it's probably suspect, but that doesn't stop a fake one being sold at a believable price :smileysad:.