Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot connect to 2.4Ghz wifi on new WiFi Hub

mroshaw
4: Newbie

Hi!

I connected up my new "WiFi Hub" router today, have had my fault HG2500 replaced, and I'm having a really weird problem.

I can see my 5Ghz SID broadcast no problem, but none of my devices can see anything broadcast on the 2.4Ghz channel. This includes the "Main" wifi and "Guest" wifi. Scanning on any device simply doesn't find the 2.4Ghz SID at all.

I've tried:

1. Splitting the Wifi - doesn't work, as the 2.4Ghz SID is simply not visible to any devices
  2. Enabling "Guest" on 2.4Ghz - doesn't work, none of my devices see the guest SID
  3. Changing "Main" to 2.4Ghz - doesn't work, no devices can connect to anything
  4. Tried every combination of "Bandwidth" (20/40/80Mhz) for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz in Expert Settings - no change whatsoever
  5. Tried every combination of "WiFi Mode" in Expert Settings - no change whatsoever

This is driving me BONKERS!

Anyone else having this problem and know how to resolve?

Thank you!

27 REPLIES 27

Jayach
16: Advanced member

My thoughts exactly after reading this thread, the router is broadcasting on too higher frequencies.

This is what I think happens when a new Vodafone Broadband customer gets their new Vodafone router. They plug it all in after activation and then the first thing the router does is a firmware update.

And what happens always is that the THG3000 router always broadcasts on too higher frequencies for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. So 2.4Ghz will select channels 12 and 13 which lots of devices can't pickup and 5Ghz will broadcast anything higher than channel 48.

I have had this happen to me several times after a firmware update on my THG3000 router. This is why I found the solution by using an old version of the Vodafone Broadband app to manually change the frequencies again.

Whoever writes the updated firmware code for any of the Vodafone routers, they could easily solve these problems by fixing this bug in a firmware update. Plus they could also reimplement on both the router and the Vodafone Broadband app to allow the user to change the frequencies again manually. Because it is causing a headache for not only users and this is also one way Vodafone are probably losing customers.

The fact that when people ring Vodafone Customer Services, when you get through to an Indian call centre they are just reading from a script and have no knowledge on solving these sort of problems. Which will be very frustrating to new customers with little knowledge of how to configure a router. Hence then people come to this forum.

Maybe a moderator on here could put this information higher up the chain to resolve these problems.

Hi did this get resolved? I am a new customer who is having exactly the same issue as you and am starting on the journey of the same questions from each advisor. I am thinking of cancelling already which is a shame as the speed etc is v good

Hi, Does anyone know how this was resolved?

As i have the same issues with one device. Vodafone blaming the device or me. The device works on BT internet and did on my old provider plus net. 

Customer service is a joke. 

Help

Hi!

After literally months of back and forth nonesense with dozens of Vodafone support folks (I kept a record of who I spoke to and when), Vodafone finally relented and sent a replacement router. Plugged in the replacement, everything worked first time.

It was an absolutely NIGHTMARE getting them to accept the fault was with their equipment. And every single interaction starts in exactly the same way: have you reset, have you rebooted, have you done this and that. Even though I'd done each of those things dozens of times, with every single support request, they made me do it over and over and over again, presumably in the hope that I would just give up.

The bottom line for me was that the router was clearly faulty, but agree that support is utterly appalling.

Good luck!

Hoss7557
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a Ring Doorbell 4 which I could not set up so I set up guest Wi-Fi and the doorbell picked it up straight away and is running well on 2.4ghz instead of 5 ghz

hoss0070

Cynric

@Hoss7557  That may depend on the router, the way it was configured and some luck. What router and settings did you use?

Jayach

Did you switch the 5Ghz off on the guest network? Or has that option been removed for you?

Jayach_0-1687214375660.png