cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does Vodafone learn anything from the community forums?

elkay62
2: Seeker

If so, do they pass it on to their support teams?

My aunt is a new customer, with a THG3000 router. It connects to the internet, and the 5ghz signal is working fine. Unfortunately my aunt has an old Amazon Fire HD8 tablet, and a Huawei P8 Lite mobile phone, which both only appear to operate on 2.4ghz.

Scanning the forums, there are dozens of threads mentioning problems with 2.4ghz devices, and within those threads, other people are coming in and mentioning their problems also. 9 times out of 10, the fate is...

• Customer leaves Vodafone
  • Customer connects a third party router (via ethernet), and utilises the wifi signal from the 3rd part router.
  • Customer downloads an old version of the Vodafone Broadband app which allows them to change the channel being utilised (because the WiFi Doctor software onboard the router is no good a selecting the best channel)

None of these are what Vodafone should aspire to. And there are no suggestions that I can find on an approved Vodafone solution.

So I am hoping that someone that is reading this can shed some light on a sensible way forward to solve my aunt's dilemma. I'll provide more about her experience in the next post, in case it is if interest.

6 REPLIES 6

elkay62

To provide some background to the problems....

Initially, the tablet connected with a very weak signal, and dropped out regularly. So following Vodafone's guidance, we waited c. 10 days for the router to "optimize" itself. If anything the problem got worse. The devices only connect when they are within 1 metre of the router. Moving out of the hall where the router is, the signal is lost, even though I am still less than 2 metres from the router.

I have been in contact with support a number of times, and following their guidance have tried:

• Splitting the SSID
  • Resetting the router
  • Provided video connection from my mobile phone for the support engineer to view the location and cabling.
  • Demonstrated to the support engineer that moving the device away from the router results in the connection being lost.

I've used WiFi Analyzer software on my mobile and laptop, both show the same results - the router is using the same band as other routers in the neighbourhood. On one occasion, there were 6 networks sharing the channel, and despite being beside the router, the Vodafone router was the 5th out of 6 in terms of signal strength.

On one occasion the channel changed - to another clogged up channel. There does appear to be a saturation problem on 2.4ghz, but that doesn't explain why Vodafone's signal is weaker despite easily the closest, with no walls in the way. It's a terrace house by the way, not a flat.

I've been talking to support engineers 5 times now, 3 of them while at the premises. But still they want me to go back again, to do the same checks that have already been done (reset router, video feed). Only one has hinted that the Vodafone router is not up to the job.  Next post - options available.

Cynric
16: Advanced member

From what you have written, I think that you already know the answer to your first question. In a thread from a few months ago there were some comments that people were of the opinion that VF wanted to create a hands-free router which would reduce the cost of the VF helpdesk.

@Cynric wrote:

From what you have written, I think that you already know the answer to your first question. In a thread from a few months ago there were some comments that people were of the opinion that VF wanted to create a hands-free router which would reduce the cost of the VF helpdesk.

I'm maybe not as cynical as you 😉 I'm more inclined to think that they want to improve their support ratings, but poor management or decision making is failing to address the issues..

Things we are considering...

• Cancel contract. But we are past 14 days, so presumably will have to escalate to Ofcom to recover any early termination fees.
  • Add third party router - but cost, no space, socket access difficulty
  • Powerline adapter - similar issues
  • Buy new devices. She could probably live with a new tablet, and manage with using data on her PAYG mobile.

Not really satisfactory, given that the problem is not of our making.

I just read today that Vodafone's support rating has moved up the bottom...but I'm not feeling it 😞

So, if you've read this far - any suggestions?

Jayach

If you contact Vodafone they can apparently change it for you. Perhaps try live chat first.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

@Jayach wrote:

If you contact Vodafone they can apparently change it for you. Perhaps try live chat first.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

I presume you are referring to the channel change possibility. I have brought that up a couple of times, but they don't seem keen on the idea. They probably have the same reservations as me - if the channel is changed now to one that is less congested, there is always the likelihood that other routers will auto-configure to use that channel in the near future. Plus the signal is still very weak, so it may provide a little more distance, but I don't think it will be a stable enough solution.