Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dropouts with BBC over intenet radio

Geldekker
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone experineces the same thing. After about 4:00pm, internet radio when playing BBC (BBC R6 to be precise) drops out every 10 mins or so for about 10 seconds then reconnects. It does not do this with other internet radio stations, just BBC. Also, bluetoothing via my phone through the Sounds app doesn't have this problem as it obviously takes the data in a different way. It's just BBC, over internet radio.

Does it on two different radios and I've tried two different modems. It's not a neighbour, channel, speed or bandwidth issue as no other devices in the house suffer. Also, I've made sure no other devices activate or come on during that time.

I've taken the radio to another house in the area served by the same exchange (they have BT Broadband with a BT modem) and it is rock solid.

Seems to be an issue with the Akamai server which I presume is an edge server Vodafone use to host BBC perhaps? I've TCPdumped it (attached) only showing traffic between the radio (xxx.114) and the modem. And it looks like the server just stops for some reason forcing a re-connect.

I feel through process of elimination this is a Vodafone/BBC issue caused when traffic increases (late afternoon/evening). Anyone out there care to shed light or have had a similar experience?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

Hi, yes everything is set to auto. I can see from another piece of software that there are no competing WiFi devices competing on any channel. The channels are essentially empty besides my WiFi.

Can you tell me whether the Akamai edge server is something the BBC use to host their media, or something you use to host BBC’s media? Who has the business with Akamai?

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

long shot but if it starts at Vodafone peak time then I would change the DNS setting on the device or in the router to one of the better ones. Vodafone DNS seems to be playing up more recently these days and it starts roundabout the same time as you are stating. 

Google (Public DNS) 8.8.4.4 8.8.8.8
Cloudflare DNS (Public DNS) 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1
OpenDNS (Public DNS) 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220