Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Extended Network

charlie7921
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Due to a change in job, and some new IT equipment that needed to be plugged directly into my router, it became necessary to move my router from my lounge to the front office to avoid wires trailing round the house. This however meant the WiFi signal wasn't reaching the back of the house. 

I bought an extender (TP link) and it's created a new WIFi network but it's basically unnusable as the password it's generated it too long and I can't change it.

It's created a password that's 90 characters long, but most of my devices will only allow a 60 character limit to input.   

The TP Tether app doesn't allow you to change the password, and the only information I can see online says that it just uses your usual internet password, which if you need to change you have to change via your router. But obviously it has made up a totally random password in my instance.  

I've tried searching through all the TP link FAQS with no luck.

my actual WiFi password is about 15 characters, I have dual band and it's the same password for both. 

The admin panel of the extender shows the main WiFi network it's connected to (2.4 band) and shows the 'password' but it's showing as a random 90 characters long, which it's then duplicated when it's created the extended Network. 

I've logged into the router settings directly but there is absolutely nothing I can see that would change the password on the extender and I've been trying to figure out for months now how to do so and so far I've only been able to connect one device to it, leaving the rest unable to be used.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

So long as you can get a single device to connect to it that has a web browser you should be able to access the Web-admin directly and change the info.

It might also just be worth seeing if your existing devices can actually connect using the existing password - it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the extender is presenting at least just part of the hash that it uses rather than the password the hash is based on.

If none of this still works, could you tell us the model number?

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so you should be able to temporarily connect the WiFi extender to the router using an ethernet cable.  Once you've done this, if you type in the Lan IP address of the extender, it should give you access to its web-admin page from which you can change the WiFi SSID and password.

A word of caution, if the extender is offering you WPA3, then it's likely that the majority of your devices won't yet support this and you'll either need to use either WPA2 or WPA2/WPA3.

Thanks for the reply:, unfortunately the extender is WiFi only with no ports so I can't hardwire it in at all

Anonymous
Not applicable

So long as you can get a single device to connect to it that has a web browser you should be able to access the Web-admin directly and change the info.

It might also just be worth seeing if your existing devices can actually connect using the existing password - it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the extender is presenting at least just part of the hash that it uses rather than the password the hash is based on.

If none of this still works, could you tell us the model number?

Thank you!! 

This worked in a round-about way. 

I luckily managed to connect my phone to it, log in to the IP of the extender and change the password that it was showing of my main network, that caused the TP link to not work because the password was 'wrong'. Then in the app this actually allowed me to reset it, and put the password back on as what my network password really was, and then it saved it!!!! 

Thank you! I can finally use the rest of my devices again after months of no internet access!