Ask

Solution

Fiber - 4g backup, when it isn't

monty77
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

...I'll keep it brief.  

• I'm on Fiber 900 or whatever service it's called
  • 23-Sep, fault .. house relies heavily on service so I get myself a 4g puck and a data SIM to plugin to the router to get us some connectivity - not great but it works
  • At the same time, as I'm up for renewal anyway, I sign up for the fiber 900 pro whatever it's called which includes the 4g failover
  • So now I have 2 4g pucks and 2 routers in the house.  This kind of works .. we're high data usage house so one 4g takes on streaming etc.. and 1 is for my wife and I to work from home
  • Apparently the fault is nasty, eta for resolution is currenly 25-oct and slipping .. nuts, but OK, at least I have a somewhat workable solution
  • Yesterday the data SIM I bought (and pay £37 a month for separately) is working just fine still, but the backup SIM (associated with my broadband account) isn't getting data anymore .. disaster, we cannot both work from home properly with the single connection
  • I call vodafone to see what's up.  2 things .. apparently the 4g backup is limited to 100Gb - ##~## is that about?  it's a backup but only up until 100Gb?  Rep tells me they can replenish, but that's not exactly convenient is it?  Second thing, for some unknown reason this SIM has now gone into 'waiting for fiber' mode which is why it doesn't have service.  Nobody knows what that means, still on hold - 1 hour and counting.

Vodafone .. I get that technically this is ORs problem, but it's down to you to make it as pain free as possible to the end user.  I've gone above and beyond the normal consumer here to mitigate but I'm blocked.  Would really appreciate a reach out from someone who can help.

TIA and sorry for the rant 🙂 

4 REPLIES 4

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@monty77  I know this is not an answer, but on Money Supermarket there are unlimited data sim deals starting at £15. It may just get you out of a hole while OR and VF keep digging their own hole.

Thank you!! Smarty and ID both use Three which is no good where I live, Voda is really the only network wtih acceptable signal.  One of the ASDA options might be worth a shot though, didn't know they used Voda.

BTW .. I'm back online, I'd hit my 100Gb limit.  It's just not practical to keep an eye on that while in backup mode, and you dont get any kind of notification to warn you.  I can sort of see why they do this or people would just abuse their backup SIM in other devices when not needed but it cannot be that hard to enable/disable data depending on the fault status of a line

Cynric

@monty77 That is what I do not understand. You can get an unlimited card for £15-ish and if your broadband is in such a bad state that VF have to give compensation the cost of which is more than that of the sim, unless I've missed something in the details.

I have 2 data SIMs .. 1 included with the fibre service (now working), and another I paid £37 already for and cancelled so it'll expire on 21st.  If I'm still needing the 2nd SIM on 21st I'll very likely pick up one of those ASDA SIMs for £20 .. smarty/ID are a non-starter as the Three coverage where I am is toilet. 

My biggest peeve right now to be honest is the stupid 100Gb limit they impose on their own backup product that's bundled with the broadband.  Extra annoying because you cannot even see the usage in the app like for any other mobile data product.