Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IPv6 rollout

ipv6-seeker
1: Seeker

I have seen reports on the internet that Vodafone is rolling out IPv6 in 2020 (but probably delayed by Covid-19). My router has received the latest firmware update and now shows IPv6 settings. Does anyone know what the roadmap for IPv6 looks like? No official statement on Vodafone website. I'm very glad the internet isn't deteriorating into a spiderweb mess of CG-NAT (how many layers could it f****** go!?!). I'm in London. Thanks

29 REPLIES 29

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

I've 9 LAN devices (plus the router) that have IPv6 addresses that would be exposable if I needed/wanted.  The Google Home Mini annoys me though, it seems to like collecting IPv6 addresses - it may be failing or just trying to be annoying.  When it comes to Vodafone be prepared for more people to inadvertently make their networks less secure!

Cynric

Last year I watched Edge startup using Wireshark. At that time the first thing it did was ask the LAN for all the active addresses and then sent them in the telemetry. It may not be doing that now, I wouldn't know because I use another browser. Just think, if it still does this and sends all your IP6 addresses.

We are now in May 2022 and no sign or comment from Vodafone about IPv6 rollout. 

Internet access is incomplete and soon everybody will need to have it.....

Will vodafone even bother to reply to this post? I hold my breath

Jayach

@alfredoFALK wrote:

Will vodafone even bother to reply to this post? I hold my breath

I wouldn't do that. You will be dead long before you get IPv6.🤣

Mind you, I'm 72 so I might be too.😉

I am 77-78 so I'll beat you to it ...   😁😂🤣😆

Jayach

@alfredoFALK wrote:

I am 77-78 s😆

At our age it does get difficult to remember which it is. LOL

CrimsonLiar

If you have a look at https://www-public.imtbs-tsp.eu/~maigron/RIR_Stats/RIPE_Allocations/Allocs/UK.html#uk.vodafone-world... you can see the info about the IP address ranges that Vodafone has.  The fact that there is a large range of IPv6 addresses suggests VF are working towards and intend to move to IPv6.

Note that VF has had these addresses for some years now!

A problem that remains is that geolocation on IPv6 is often worse than it is with IPv4.

The fact that historically we've seen IPv6 leak onto the live network just means it was being badly handled in the past, doesn't mean nothing is happening now.  *The fact that I think we are seeing fewer issues on these boards is encouraging!

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

A problem that remains is that geolocation on IPv6 is often worse than it is with IPv4.

Geolocation on Vodafone IPv4 address is crap, it surely can't get worse.

CrimsonLiar

It can get worse!

Some sites that use elements served by both IPv4 and IPv6 throw a wobbly if the two protocols suggest different locations!

I know I'm second-guessing here but the recent change to the reported gateways we connect through would be something you'd be doing if you were moving to IPv6.  When it does happen I'd suspect that initially at least it'll be double-stack, and I fear the IPv4 may switch to CGNAT.

*While I have tunnelled IPv6 set up, it's usually turned off for the very reason mentioned above interfering with Instagram (I could live without Instagram, but I'm not the only person in the house).

Looks like VF had it working several years ago in Germany - maybe they should talk to eachother to sort it out?

https://community.ui.com/questions/USG-Pro-4-with-German-ISP-Vodafone-iPv6/5ea89a2c-eb60-4501-bcbf-d...

It's been solved - what's the glacial delay about?