Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Intermittent issues with Vodaphone Router

Jimbob87
2: Seeker

Hi,

Recently we've been experiencing issues with our Vodaphone WiFi Hub Router (latest model) where no devices wireless or wired are able to connect to the router or connect out to the web.

You can go through the motions of rebooting the router, rebooting devices wired and wireless but nothing will connect. I also have a Hue lighting hub, Hive heating hub and a security system which are also hardwired into the router and these also cannot connect to get a local IP or out to the web.

The router displays all lights normally. None are flashing, Power, Internet and WIFI are on and solid white. A broadband service check for the area always comes back ok other than it can see we are having intermittent connectivity to thier network.

The only way to resolve the problem is to factory reset the router. In the last 2 weeks I have now had to do this three times as it's the only way to fix the issue.

Everytime I have to do this i have to go through and reconfigure my SSID, passwords and Super WiFi boosters again after the router falls over, which is getting a little frustrating.

I believe this is a local issue with the router itself as opposed to anything on Vodaphones Network. 

Has anyone else experienced any issues with the hardware supplied and if so what sort of problems did you have?

If it occurs again I'll be looking to raise a case with Vodaphone about replacing the router as this is becoming a real problem for our household, especially with us who also work from home. The third factory reset was done this morning, so we shall see how long it lasts for.

Many thanks for any replies,

7 REPLIES 7

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

The vodafone routers are a bit restrictive in what settings you can change anyway. Do you have an alternative router you could use? It's easy to get the PPPoE details from an agent on TOBi so long as you get them to copy/paste the info into chat to avoid typos

Or you could have been badly provisioned. Through a TOBi agent you can get them to set up your router again remotely or it may need an engineer visit.

Jayach

@Jimbob87 wrote:

The only way to resolve the problem is to factory reset the router. In the last 2 weeks I have now had to do this three times as it's the only way to fix the issue.

Everytime I have to do this i have to go through and reconfigure my SSID, passwords and Super WiFi boosters again after the router falls over, which is getting a little frustrating.

You should be able to save the config settings and then reload them after after the factory reset. May save a little time, but obviously won't help cure the problem.

Jayach_0-1658329734719.png

CrimsonLiar

Is Openreach or CityFibre actively in the process of installing FTTP in your immediate vicinity?  This is purely anecdotal, but we observed similar issues when they were in the immediate vicinity and we're not even using the VF router.

dmn1981

Hi @Jimbob87,

This sounds very familiar! About a week ago, my Alexa in my bedroom (1 of 6 in the house), would drop off the network, so I would have to go through the whole set up again of the echo.

I then suddenly realised that my phone wouldn't connect to the Internet, and when I checked, my phone was connected to my 5Ghz SSID, which had no Internet connectivity, 2.4Ghz did?!

Long story short, for the last 48hrs, I have half my devices not even connecting to either WiFi, just tells me cannot connect to network, not that the PW is wrong or something. I've reset the router, reconfigured everything, have my devices just won't connect.

For example my phone will connect to 2.4Ghz and not 5Ghz, yet my Wife's identify Samsung phone won't connect to either?!

I'm convinced this is a router / firmware issue, as I cannot see any other reason for it, despite Vodafone doing line tests, and telling me there is no line fault?! Go figure!

I'm at a complete loss!

Are you still experiencing issues?

I've proved the issue is probably firmware related.

My neighbour had a spare VF router, because he uses a generic one. He hasn't used it for a couple of years, so the firmware was probably 2 years old. 

Configured the router identical to mine, and low and behold, all devices connect with no issues, both SSIDs have Internet connectivity, and I'm back up and running.

Going to keep my neighbours router for a few days, and see if it updates its firmware to the same, and if the issue returns!

For reference, this is the version of firmware on my iffy router!

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 09.31.31.png

timr1972
4: Newbie

I've had the same issue; had the router replaced, problem remains. and requires a factory reset every few weeks.

I'm guessing the log files get full and the router breaks requiring a Factory Reset, but do you think I can get that through to the 'special' support staff.....?!?!?

Did you get anywhere with the issue?

Jayach

@timr1972 wrote:

I'm guessing the log files get full and the router breaks requiring a Factory Reset, but do you think I can get that through to the 'special' support staff.....?!?!?

Even if you did get that through to them, what do you expect them to do, they have already replaced the router?