Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PfSense Vodafone Gigafast router replacement

bendomigan
2: Seeker

Has anyone replaced their gigafast router with PfSense?

My setup is as follows and my experince with PfSense is limited 

re0 - Wan

re1 - Lan

I have connected the ethernet from the FTTP wall mounted box to re0 on the PfSense machine.

On the WAN port I have setup as a PPPOE and entered by login details and alos setup a VLAN tag 911 (I was told this is the correct tag by Vodafone customer service).

I have attempted to get this setup to work for the last few hours but feel I am missing something, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

8 REPLIES 8

Dabbs
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @bendomigan thanks for getting in touch 😊 Our Gigafast team will be able to help you with this. You can call them from any Vodafone mobile on 191 or alternatively calling them on 0333 304 0191. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Genuinely think that the Pfsense community is probably your best option for an answer on this.  A quick search though does suggest that you are not the first to face an issue trying to get Pfsense to express a VLAN ID on the Intenet port.

@Dabbs, I really feel that I ought to be making a bet with you that tech support can't solve this one!

Eds89

Did you ever get this working?

Support have told me I simply need vlan 911 and my pppoe details, but it just don't work!

Cheers

Eds

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

911 is correct for cityfibre. If you're on openreach VLAN should be disabled. 

Yes I'm using 911, but my pppoe session just does not establish

ginorh

I've just got my setup working today and hope I'm not too late

Replaced my THG3000 with my pfsense server.

Not sure if this is location or provider based, I was initially given VLAN id 191 with a dslxxxxxxx@vodafone.co.uk and followed by 101 but on searching through some posts I found 911 and it worked

So in the end my working setup is:

PPPOE setup on VLAN 911 on the WAN interface

username in the format: dslxxxxxxx@broadband.vodafone.co.uk and password, provided by vodafone support

I also added an MTU of 1492 which is what I think actually did the trick.

Happy to post some screenshots if that will help 

My particular issue was my own doing;

I run pfSense as an ESXi VM, and my issue was down to my VLAN trunk config within VMware.

Once I corrected my VLAN issue, my sessions came up but I had terrible stability. For me, this seems related to traffic shaping, which I've removed and now I'm all up and running perfectly!

Cheers

Eds

Great to hear. If I go down the vm route for pfsense, I'll make sure to keep that in mind.