cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart home device problems with THG3000 ... can't get ip address assigned ... AP isolation problem?

chrishdunn
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi...really struggled with some smart home devices after upgrading from Superfast 1 to 2 and getting the latest router (THG3000). Support were kind and helpful, but didn't get to the bottom of the problems. I was even given a fixed external ip address which apparently usually solves everything. Didn't for me and I ended up buying a different modem/router, which has solved all the problems (TP Link VR600 v3).

The devices I couldn't get to work properly were the Drayton Wiser Heat hub (worked fine with my previous vodafone HHG2500 router), a TP Link TC70 Camera and all Shelly devices. The problem seemed to be that they could not get an ip address assigned during setup. The Drayton device was strange, as it would always take an hour or more for an ip address to be assigned after a reboot. 

My Tuya and Meross devices worked fine though.

Having read some other online info, I think the problem may be due to the THG3000 having some problem with AP isolation. There's no way of turning it on or off, as you can with most modern routers, so can't say for sure.

I think this is a pretty big problem for people who are going down the smart home route, and took hours and hours of time and testing  to bottom out. Also cost me a new router. Hopefully, some sort of firmware upgrade will be able to sort it out in the future.

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are probably a number of different issues coming together here!

Getting a fixed IP only helps if there are remote servers that manage your devices and you can't use Dynamic DNS (DDNS).

The Shelly devices REALLY love to have a static IP addresses on the LAN!

As for AP isolation - it truly is a double-edged sword.  It's very easy to set up incorrectly and cause problems that are not instantly apparent, and in reality, it shouldn't be necessary for household broadband users to become network experts in order to set up, what are now everyday internet devices!

Glad you've got it all up and working now though!

I spoke to soon ... broadband speed has been down at 18Mbits/s ever since I installed the new router (48 hours) ... endless problems!

gipjon
16: Advanced member

Warning for everyone  if you reboot or disconnect the Vodafone router or a substitute router too many times in a short period of time you will cause the broadband speed to drop as the D.L.M will think there is a fault on your phone line 

Speed still no better than 30mbps.

Jayach

@chrishdunn wrote:

Speed still no better than 30mbps.

Are you sure your line can support a higher speed, what does the BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) page say?

What is the sync speed on the router?

Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 08.18.53.png

The router is a TP-Link VR600 ... here are its current speed stats ...

Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 08.25.58.png

When first upgraded to Superfast 2, it was running well at 70 mbps

Jayach

Well your line is capable of the max 80/20 or very close to it. (you may want to edit the picture as it shows your phone number)

For some reason DLM seems to have limited your line, the SNR figures show that it could be running much higher.

Did you possibly do a number of disconnections/reboots just before the speed dropped?

Really you need a DLM reset, but getting Vodafone to do them seems nigh on impossible. (but you could give it a try)

If you just leave it DLM may start to recover in time, possibly leaving it powered off overnight may help.

Cynric

Max Observed is 42 on a line with a Range B estimate of 76-80. To quote McEnroe, you cannot be serious!!!