Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WPS

DJM1971
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Some devices I use require WPS to be switched off. 
The new app won’t let me change WPS settings and the web access says the app is managing WPS. 

How can I switch WPS off?  
it’s an ultra router

19 REPLIES 19

Lots of devices eg cars, doorbells, cameras Roberts radio etc

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

WPS is inherently insecure. Unless you have a specific need for it it should be disabled all the time. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

WPS is inherently insecure. Unless you have a specific need for it it should be disabled all the time. 

True, mine is, but my router (THG3000) isn't being controlled by the "Super Wi-Fi" so I don't need to use the app.

Yes I agree but Vodafone has removed any ability to switch WPS off either by the new app or by the web browser admin

CrimsonLiar

What devices won't connect?  WPS is problematic from a security point of view, and I've known some devices to ignore it, but I've never in my life known a device that would refuse to connect because of it!

EV cars won’t connect if WPS is on and some internet radios and cameras

Cynric

@DJM1971 That's news to me. A neighbour has an EV and has no issues with WPS, do you have any references?

Cynric

@DJM1971 OK, thanks. I think they are doing that to stop sneaky people getting into the car, or its software as a minimum, with a hotspot or 4/5G router. After all WPS is not a very secure thing and I deliberately turn it off for that reason. However, it's not all EV cars at present.

I think I could still get my LAN to have WPS "on" and yet get an EV to connect by simply using a second router, with WPS off, as an AP. Firstly I'd have to get an EV, so if everyone here would like to make a donation ... 🤣🤣🤣

CrimsonLiar

Wow, that's a deliberate choice by Polestar, thanks probably to the security issues WPS exposes.  It's a really difficult position because VF is not the only ISP with a router where you can't disable WPS.  Looks like you may need to use the "Guest Network" feature.
*A site survey here on 2.4GHz pulls up 34 router SSIDs (beastly Asus GT-AX6000 router), the only one with WPS disabled is my own