cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wrong IP-based location - services think I'm in Croydon (I'm not!)

rsherhod
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Any IP-based location services think I'm in Croydon, when I'm not. Thankfully I am in the UK, so it shouldn't impact content services. However, it's definitely a problem because Google Maps puts me no where near my home by default.

I'm a new Vodafone Full Fibre customer, connecting from a desktop PC (so no GPS) over wifi to my Ultra Hub. I am NOT using a VPN connection.

I've seen discussions on here about this issue, and it seems to be down to Vodafone's IP addresses and whatever databases location services are using for lookup. That's not much of an answer though, since it's clearly Vodafone's problem - even if it wasn't, try telling that to Google!

So, can anyone help with this?

12 REPLIES 12

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

It makes sense to disconnect the WiFi and use 4G/5G in your case.

My IPv4 is currently in the Isle of Mann, which is a train and a ferry away from Yorkshire, but it's not causing any problems whatsoever with Google maps.

Run a quick traceroute to bbc.com and copy the results here. 

As I said, I'm connecting from a desktop PC. No 4G/5G capability.

@Ripshod wrote:

Run a quick traceroute to bbc.com and copy the results here. 

How would I do that?

Ripshod

@rsherhod wrote:

How would I do that?

Windows

To do a traceroute on a Windows computer we’ll use the TRACERT utility.

• Click the Windows icon and type “cmd.”
  • Click the “Command Prompt” link or icon.
  • Type “tracert” followed by the domain name that you want to trace to. Hit the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
  • The traceroute will run and the results will be displayed.

In your case you would enter "tracert bbc.com"

Note - AI used in the correct way.

Jayach

I think you will find Google knows where you are without using I.P. location (which as you say is always wrong with Vodafone) or GPS.

Ripshod

I did have some problems when I was on the Edinburgh gateway. Stuff like Scottish local news and weather (though it didn't affect maps either)

Need the traceroute to fully understand this situation. 

Cynric

My location (IPv4) varies from 10 to 200 miles. 

Google may well know everything there is to know about me. However, it's definitely taking the starting location on Google Maps from my IP address.

Jayach

@rsherhod 

Does your PC Have Wi-Fi?

Yes, that's how I'm connected to my Ultra Hub. At some point I'll get an ethernet cable to it, but it means some drilling and cutting.