Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connection cancelled with no written warning/reason

Dkil64
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Internet went down last night, and still now (red flashing broadband light, DSL/Fibre box showing all healthy, so just on Vodafone's end). Called to confirm and get fixed. They said, even though we've been with you for months now, our address is listed as an emergency service location (eg, hospital) so they can't provide us with internet and that's why it's been cancelled today.

Is this some sort of joke? We are a residential home not near anything emergency services related. They just said nothing we can do sorry call Royal Mail.

????

Please somebody help. I can't keep phone signal in my area for more than 15 minutes and Royal Mail hold times are 1hr plus. Vodafone live chat is down also. Surely you can't just switch off my internet in these times where we are all working from home and just be told to go talk to somebody else, with no warning. Pretty atrocious. 

Thanks to anybody reading.

7 REPLIES 7

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

CabinetTest.png

Then see if A N Other ISP can connect you (to any of the available services).

Thanks for the reply. I meant to post this thread in the broadband section.

Anyway, I called back because it didn't seem right and the wrong information was passed onto me. Aparantly we're not on the Royal Mail address checker and as a security reason specifically related to FTTP they had to cancel our service.

When we moved here we waited 2 weeks to get a survey done to install FTTC with Plusnet, and we waited 3 months (due to corona) to get FTTP installed with Vodafone. All of these services were already available to our postcode but our house is a new build in the area so we were told they basically just had to add the address to their list and it's no problem.

I just used the checker you posted and we are on there so that shows we were definitely added properly (obviously as we have been provided with both these services). But we are not on the Royal Mail address checker. So their reasoning checks out but it seems like a stupid reason. Also I noticed before our address it said could be served with FTTP, and now it says not available since they cancelled us. All other usual services show available at the moment.

So I can only deduce what they say is correct albeit very stupid and leaving me without internet for possibly a week or more. Supposively I was emailed about this but I do not have an email on my mum's life.

Untitled.png

They did leave a very polite voicemail after a missed call saying something along the lines of 'we tried to contact you today, not to worry, we will try another time, thanks, bye!'. As I said I get truly awful phone signal so I just said to myself if it's important they will email me or send a letter. Like could you say 'ALERT, ALERT, VERY IMORTANT YOU CALL US BACK IF YOU ARE A HUMAN BEING LIVING IN 2020 WHO LIKES YOUR INTERNET 😂'.

Hi

Section 3

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/downloads/dialogue_services_product_guide.pdf

Openreach can, and do, install on new sites/builds yet to have a postcode, let alone a house number.

The Address Matching tool allows you to search for an address and obtain a matched address reference,
known as an Address Key (ALK). This service allows an address or part of an address to be matched against
either an installation address known by Openreach (a Gold match) or the Post Office Address File or the
Address Base Premium or the Pointer files for addresses from UK local authorities(a Silver match). Gold
matches will have an associated Gold ALK reference. Where an Openreach installation address is not found a
Post Office Address File or an Address Base Premium or a Pointer filematch might still be successful.
This service also allows you to create a temporary ‘Silver ALK’ or ‘Bronze ALK’ for use in order placements against a Post Office Address or an Address Base Premium or a Pointer File address (a Silver match) or an unknown address/ Greenfield site (a Bronze match).
The address reference number returned by the Address Matching Dialogue Service is a 12 character key and
will be in the following format:
© British Telecommunications PLC Page 11
 Gold ALK
 1 Alpha
 11 Numeric
 Silver or Bronze ALK
 x = an alphabetic value indicating if the key is Silver (S) or Bronze (B)
 yy = Numeric value for current year (e.g. 13 = 2013)
 ddd = Julian day value for current day (e.g. 007 = 7th January, 365 = 31st December)
 nnnnnn = Sequential number uniquely allocated that day to Temporary Key (e.g. 000001 = First
Temporary Key created that day)
Please note that:
 Submissions of all new provide orders - an ALK must be obtained from the Address Matching Dialogue
Service.
 However orders on stopped lines can be placed with the Line ID of the stopped line as an alternative
to the ALK.
 Submitted orders with a Silver or Bronze ALK attached will be sent to the Openreach Network
Addressing Team for validation and may result in extended lead time.

etc etc.

VodaFone aren't necessarily the best, but you could do worse (although I don't know how).

Thanks for the response. It sounds like we should be good to go by what you said but it might be different as we are served by CityFibre (Vodafone exclusive in the area).

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Oh no @Dkil64, I think I'd go crazy without an internet connection, especially during the current restrictions! Let's see if we can get your services reconnected and then take the steps to prevent this from happening going forward. As we'll need access to your account to do this, pop us a private message through one of our social channels and we'll take a look 👀

After the best part of 3 hours on the phone I still don't really know why it was cancelled but they have gone ahead and re-ordered for me (with a 1 week wait for an engineer as usual), and I'm sure he will turn up very confused. But atleast it looks like we will be getting it back. Just hoping somehow I don't get early termination charges lol

EDIT: CityFibre turned up to our house today curiously asking why there is a new order as it's already installed. Our engineer visit is scheduled for next Tuesday. I guess they were just around checking stuff and decided to knock on our door in case we were in. He basically confirmed it's all on Vodafone. Whatever I've been told about hopsitals/address checker, is all related to Vodafone systems and not theirs. So obviously I'm quite disappointed with Vodafone but atleast they are giving us a better deal this time around.