Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Yet Another WiFi Channel Thread

jackofromtheuk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

FAO any vodafone staff. Yes I've tried following the complaints process and got nowhere. I'm not needing a tailored response or a fix but I want to highlight this and have someone acknowledgement. I have a third party router on order, so this will be resolved by myself.

This isn't the first thread on the subject - the removal of the option to manually set WiFi channel. It's breaking my WiFi.

It keeps choosing channels that either conflict with other WiFi points or are unusable for some devices (channel 12). According to your techies my firmware was upgraded yesterday which is when the issue started.
This is causing slowdowns (other WiFi points are heavily utilised), total disconnects (my WiFi repeater takes 5-10 minutes to pick up the new channel) or being completely unusable (channel 12). After a chat with a senior "expert" in the complaints dept whos been a tech for "many years" I argued for 45 minutes that it was indeed not "impossible" for the router to choose channel 12 until I showed him the netsh output from the window I still had open. I was also told that having the router intelligently pick channels would ensure the best performance. How on earth he came to that conclusion when 1) he doesn't know how many WiFi points I have and 2) as above, its far from intelligent.

SSID 1 : VodafoneConnect73799450
Network type : Infrastructure
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Encryption : CCMP
BSSID 1 : 
Signal : 73%
Radio type : 802.11ac
Channel : 100
Basic rates (Mbps) : 6 12 24
Other rates (Mbps) : 9 18 36 48 54
BSSID 2 : 
Signal : 78%
Radio type : 802.11n
Channel : 12
Basic rates (Mbps) : 1 2 5.5 11
Other rates (Mbps) : 6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54

And just now, it's decided to pick the same channel as another (statically assigned) WiFi point.

SSID 3 : VodafoneConnect73799450
BSSID 1 : 
Signal : 33%
Channel : 1

SSID 4 : CCTV
BSSID 1 : 
Signal : 73%
Channel : 1

So yeah. Maybe most people won't be affected by this (though I'd have thought the channel 12 thing would be ripe with issues) but something I think should be highlighted.

2 REPLIES 2

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It has been highlighted so many times, but nobody listens/cares, getting your own router is really the only option.

VFbroadbanduser
10: Established
10: Established

Or just use an Android device with an old version of the Vodafone Broadband app version 4.1.0 to manually set the channels. Then split the SSID's in the web GUI.