cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G router recomend? Or how to get Voda R219 router without a sim (I already have a sim!)

dannydannydanny
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I bought a £40 unlimited data sim, which I presumed I could just swap back and forth in and out of my phone, but it seems that would get very fiddly. So I started looking for 4G routers online and its a minefield of issues and I only have a few days to get one before my holiday (whole point of the data sim, to be able to work while on holiday).

I see vodafone make a router and that gets reasonable reviews, the R219, but I cant see how to buy it on its own, it always comes with a sim. I just bought the sim, really don't want another one, plus this is getting expensive fast - at this rate I may well look at cheap second hand phones instead and use one as a router. Maybe I should start looking at that quickly!

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

You may find such routers on ebay but I understand your time limited @dannydannydanny 

Argos sell them buy again I think they come with a sim.

Vodafone Highstreet Stores are mostly open too to visit. 

There's also a few threads on the forum from people who have purchased the Vodafone device your looking at and gave their opinion on how well it performs.

It can sometimes be a case of how good 4G signal is where you are at the time.

Personally I use a Hybrid Dual Sim phone so I can use different networks if one has fringe coverage where I am.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I'm very much regretting not getting a dual sim phone. Next time, no question. I fully appreciate your point about the coverage though, and this effort and money is all spent full acknowledging that we may not have coverage, but I have to try. At least if the coverage is rubbish I can tell myself I tried!

I bought my first dual sim phone as it came that way from Samsung and didn't intend to use it with two sim cards in but it does come in handy when travelling around.

All networks have fringe coverage areas and not spits so the ability to switch networks without having to mess around with sim cards is very useful @dannydannydanny 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @dannydannydanny 

If you are going to buy the R219 with a SIM you will have 15GB of data to use in a 90 day period.  You don't need to use the SIM that comes with the device, you are free to use your unlimited data SIM but might as well make use of the 15GB included and add an additional data pack when needed.  If this is an option, you will have 14 days to make a return of the data SIM.

If you refer to these links it will help with setting up your mobile WiFi :  Getting Started with Mobile Broadband