Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PAYG Phone on monthly contract

GatwickA320
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi - I wonder if anyone would know the answer to this.  I'm going a little 'against the grain' here so bear with me.  Having had it with smart phones I'm on a pay monthly contract which ends later this year.  I want to DOWNGRADE to a simple phone, and I'm very specific as to what phone I get.  Vodafone PAYG offer a Mobiwire Oneida which is a KAIOS device - a simple dumbphone that is 4G and can WhatsApp.  Must fulfil both those criteria and Vodafone is the only company who sell this device.  Similar devices do not meet the criteria.

Is Vodafone PAYG contractual?  If I was to buy the device as a PAYG customer could I

a) do away with the PAYG package and ditch it after buying the minimal amount of credit?

b) insert my Pay Monthly SIM in and expect it to work?

I'd be grateful for your thoughts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

You can use the pay monthly SIM in any phone @GatwickA320 , the only thing you will need to do is change the APN settings from pre paid pp, to pay monthly.  Vodafone don't sell locked phones and you are able to use any network SIM in the phone.

You can find how to enter the pay monthly settings from device guides here: Device Guides 

Vodafone have to sell the phone with a service and you will find you need to purchase the phone with credit.  If you opt out of the BVB here: Opt out of BVB before topping up the SIM that comes with the phone, you should be able to donate the credit to a charity here: Donate PAYG credit .  Alternatively, give the SIM with the credit or bundle to a friend.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers

Hi @GatwickA320 

If the phone was purchased from Vodafone or if purchased elsewhere and is unlocked to all network's then Yes your monthly contract sim card will work in it.

If you decided not to want to use a Vodafone Payg sim card then after a period of 180 days + 45 days it would simply deactivate and no longer work. The mobile number and any remaining account credit would be lost.

Vodafone Payg is not contractual.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

You can use the pay monthly SIM in any phone @GatwickA320 , the only thing you will need to do is change the APN settings from pre paid pp, to pay monthly.  Vodafone don't sell locked phones and you are able to use any network SIM in the phone.

You can find how to enter the pay monthly settings from device guides here: Device Guides 

Vodafone have to sell the phone with a service and you will find you need to purchase the phone with credit.  If you opt out of the BVB here: Opt out of BVB before topping up the SIM that comes with the phone, you should be able to donate the credit to a charity here: Donate PAYG credit .  Alternatively, give the SIM with the credit or bundle to a friend.