Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Reactivate two SIM cards from 2017 - USA tourists coming to Europe

jwheel11
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Dear Vodaphone UK HELP Desk,

My wife and I are traveling to Europe (not the UK this time) for 7 weeks starting 15 August and would like to reactivate our old Vodaphone SIM cards I purchased (and saved) from 2017 (see attached order #'s for both our SIM cards, and a picture of the outside packaging).  Our SIM card UK phone numbers we have are:

[Removed] = John’s U.K. Vodaphone SIM card # 

[Removed] = Phyllis' UK SIM Card #

Here are my questions:

1.  Are these SIM cards and phone numbers still able to be reactivated and how do I do it?  

2.  We are flying direct from the USA to Munich, Germany, so can we reactivate them from the USA as we take off on the plane on 15 August?

3.  What monthly plans can I choose and can I choose the plan before we leave?  I've seen your Red 20GB data plan with unlimited text and talk for 22 pounds a month and that would be perfect for both our phones. 

4.  I will need 2 months coverage on both phones so (after 30 days) I will need to top off the plan for another 30 days... can I easily do that from our phones?   

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was my order # info from the email you sent me in 2017 (received another email for my wife's phone):

To: jwheel11 
Sent: Mon, Jun 19, 2017 10:41 am
Subject: Hello John, expect your free SIM to arrive soon
Your order number is [Removed] and your tracking number is KS326596800GB
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the assistance..... we loved our Vodaphone SIM cards in 2017!

John E Wheeler
Colonel, USAF (retired)
[Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal information please see Community Guidelines]

Vodaphone.packaging.jpg
Vodaphone.packaging.jpg
Vodaphone.packaging.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @jwheel11 

Your Son would be able to purchase the SIM cards, top up, purchase the bundles and make the first calls in the UK to activate the UK SIM cards before mailing them to you in the USA.

However, if you are not coming to London on the trip you would be better off going into a Vodafone Germany store and getting two SIM cards for the country you are visiting from there, this way the bundle would last you the entire 30 days you are in the country. 

The best way to find out the plans offered by Vodafone Germany is from the website here:https://www.vodafone.de/

Vodafone Germany do indeed have their own customer forum where you will be able to find information and get any questions answered: https://forum.vodafone.de/

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS

Hi @jwheel11 

The problem you are going to have here is the SIM cards would have been disconnected from the network for non use and the numbers will be long gone.   With there not being an infinite number of mobile telephone numbers available, the numbers could be reallocated to another user.

If you are looking to purchase airtime with Vodafone, unless you have some UK credit history required for the Red 20 GB, your only option will be to keep to PAYG.   There is further information here:  Vodafone PAYG

When you arrive in the UK there is a Vodafone store in practically every large town and they will be able to provide the SIM and recommend a PAYG tariff for your needs.  

BandOfBrothers

@jwheel11 

Good to hear you liked the service provided by Vodafone UK.

1.  Are these SIM cards and phone numbers still able to be reactivated and how do I do it?  

Unfortunately No.

2.  We are flying direct from the USA to Munich, Germany, so can we reactivate them from the USA as we take off on the plane on 15 August?

No because after 180 days +90 days of non usage Vodafone can deactivate the account and put the number into quarantine and reallocate them at a later date.

Also even tho different countries use the Vodafone Brand Name they are not linked so hence cannot access other countries Vodafone Accounts.

3.  What monthly plans can I choose and can I choose the plan before we leave?  I've seen your Red 20GB data plan with unlimited text and talk for 22 pounds a month and that would be perfect for both our phones. 

There is strict criteria to be able to open up a Pay Monthly Contract such as a UK Credit Check. UK Bank Account and some UK credit history and a UK residential address.

There are no such checks with a Vodafone Payg Sim Card. There is the Big Value Bundles or Payg1 tariffs to choose from.

Pay-as-you-go-plans.

4.  I will need 2 months coverage on both phones so (after 30 days) I will need to top off the plan for another 30 days... can I easily do that from our phones?   

The options to top up a Payg Account are explained in > Pay-as-you-go-top-up.  And How-can-I-top-up-my-phone.

So keep in mind to stop a Payg account deacrivating a call, text , data use or top up has to happen every 180 days +90 days.

Enjoy your trip.  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @jwheel11 

To add to my earlier reply, when you arrive in the UK you can find a Vodafone Store from this link:

Vodafone Store Locator

Also take a look at Voxi, still Vodafone

Voxi

Ok, thank you, Ann, but keep in mind (as I stated earlier), we are NOT coming to the UK on this 7 week trip.  We are flying direct to Munich Germany and I need our phones and SIM cards to be activated as soon as we get there, as we have a very busy itinerary planned.

So I now understand our old 2017 SIM cards are no good. So here is my question:

My son lives in London.  Can he purchase 2 Vodaphone UK PAYG SIM cards for us and mail them to us here in the USA and then when we land in Germany can I activate them there?  I believe you are saying NO I can't do that as the accounts aren't accessed from one country to another... is this correct?

So what are my options?  Go to a Vodaphone store in Munich?  Is there one at the Munich Int'l airport?  I can't seem to find one at the airport on my google search?  I did find a store nearby in Freising (Upper Main Street 39).... is this the best place for us to go after we land in Munich?

And are their Vodaphone Germany PAYG plans similar to yours?  I can't seem to find one that matches your plans in price and data given, etc.  This is why I initially reached out to you in the UK because I wasn't finding the info I needed for Germany.

Can you point me to someone or another tech forum where I can ask these questions for Vodaphone Germany?  

Thank you.

John Wheeler

AnnS

Hi @jwheel11 

Your Son would be able to purchase the SIM cards, top up, purchase the bundles and make the first calls in the UK to activate the UK SIM cards before mailing them to you in the USA.

However, if you are not coming to London on the trip you would be better off going into a Vodafone Germany store and getting two SIM cards for the country you are visiting from there, this way the bundle would last you the entire 30 days you are in the country. 

The best way to find out the plans offered by Vodafone Germany is from the website here:https://www.vodafone.de/

Vodafone Germany do indeed have their own customer forum where you will be able to find information and get any questions answered: https://forum.vodafone.de/

Thanks so much, Ann.  This definitely points me in the right direction.  I'll reach out on the Mein Vodaphone forum in Germany and ask the same questions.  We have friends in Munich who can likely help.  Taking what you have said about my son in London, I will try to have our Munich friends buy our Pay As You Go SIM cards (looks like they call them "prepay: tariff without contract" SIMs in Germany) and mail them to us.  We'll have her register the SIMs in our names and use our credit cards to buy the first and 2nd month in advance.  I think this might work.  Then when we land in Munich we can just activate them and we should be good to go.  But thanks again for all your assistance.

John Wheeler

Ann,

Just a little more clarification in case I go this route in London woth my son..... here's your comment from above:

"Your Son would be able to purchase the SIM cards, top up, purchase the bundles and make the first calls in the UK to activate the UK SIM cards before mailing them to you in the USA."

1.  So to be sure I understand this will work.... if my son goes into a UK Vodaphone store, he can purchase us the 2 Payg SIM cards (like the 20 pound Big Value Bundle), and while in the store he can pop the first SIM into his phone and activate it, and make ONE phone call to fully activate it.  Then pop that out and put the 2nd SIM in and do the same thing.  And then he can mail them to us and we are good to go when we land in Munich.  Is this correct?

2.  Can my son also add another 20 pounds on each account so we are good for the 30 + 30 days?

3.  Can he register both SIMs in our names and use our credit cards?.... Possibly he will need to use his London mailing address?, which is ok.  

4.  Can we top up the card for another 7 days at the end, or is 30 days the minimum time?

Thank you, again, Ann!

John Wheeler

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for getting back in touch @jwheel11 😊 Your German friend option sounds a little more fool proof, though if you did want to go with your son sending the SIMs over: 

1. Yes, your son can pick up the SIM's and make a call to activate them.

2. He can add more credit on. If you both want the £20 BVB, your son could add £40 credit to the account. Then as long as you dont incur out of bundle charges, the bundle will auto renew on midnight of the 30th day. Maybe he could add a little extra, say £5; just to give you a small buffer. 

3. Your son can add the cards for the two SIMs first by calling 2345 then call 191 to get the accounts registered (has to be this order to get around DPA). The reason this could be awkward is you would need to be the ones to call us if you have any problems and it charges to call us from abroad; it is possible though if you wanted to do it. 

4. 30 days is the minimum time for Big Value Bundles, yes - which is the service that includes roaming. But you can downgrade the bundle and allow it to drop off, then you'd still be spending less and getting less allowances. 

I hope all of that makes sense, if not please don't hesitate to pop back and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.