Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming notworking in Isle of Man (IOM)

MartyIOM
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have two Motorola E7 PAYG phones. They have both stopped getting mobile access on Isle of Man. There are two networks here, Sure and Manx Telecom. Sure does not work properly because Vodafone sees it as registered in Guernsey. When it connects to Sure I get a text welcoming me to Guernsey and telling me I have to buy a roaming plan, but IOM roaming is included in my Big Bundle. I have been able to manually choose Manx Telecom in Network Settings until today. Now it no longer connects to Manx Telecom, only to Sure. I spent over an hour on the phone with Vodafone, checked all the settings, reset the phone and it was all a waste of time. I specifically bought these phones and this plan because I travel between IOM, UK and Ireland and needed an economical plan with no roaming charges. Has anyone a solution to this? 

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Just to check @MartyIOM when you completed a manual roam and selected Manx Telecom, you would have left the phone on manual selection, if you left it on automatic, it would change to Sure at some point.

Not sure about Manx, but networks are starting to use 4G VoLTE calling, make sure your phone is using the 4G settings and you have VoLTE turned on.

I would complete a further manual roam, Manx is the main network in the Isle of Man and it should come up.

Hi Ann,

Manx Telecom comes up in the manual selection list but will not connect when chosen. While attempting to connect, the Sure network is disconnected. The phone attempst to connect to Manx Telecom for approximately 3 minutes before it says it is unable to connect. When I exit the "choose network" screen the phone reverts to Automatic selection and selects the Sure network once more.

The network choice selected is 4G, 3G,2G. This is the only choice that offers 4G. I can find no setting where I can turn on VoLTE.

It was working until yesterday and I changed nothing - it just stopped working. It happens the same on my wife's phone which is also a Motorola E7.