cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone does not recognize my geographical location when roaming.

Foneill
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Vodafone PAYG does not recognise my geographical location when roaming. it sends a message "Welcome to Guernsey" (Band B) when I am in the Isle of Man (Band A) - can anyone assist?

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

How strange @Foneill 

There are no additional charge for using the Isle of Man network and you can continue to use the same the same way as you would at home.  However, for the Channel Isles you would need a roaming extra.

I would recommend doing a manual network scan from your connection settings the phone won't pick up a Channel Island network when you are in the Isle of Man, I am sure you need to connect to Manx Telecom.

just wanted to check @Foneill you have location turned on in the phone settings?

Thanks for your help.  It maybe some kind of fault with the location detection system but I am struggling to find anyone to speak with at Vodafone.  I am a frequent traveller to the IoM and I normally receive a "welcome to the Isle of Man" message following arrival but this Guernsey message is quite odd.  Added to the problem is that the IoM is Band A and no charges are added whereas Guernsey is Band B where roaming charges apply.  My phone is a newish Samsung Galaxy A 52 5G and I am fairly sure that the problem does not lie there.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Hi there, just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this problem. Am suffering the same thing. On 28th Oct my phone knew I was roaming in the Isle of Man and then yesterday 31st Oct I got a message saying welcome to Guernsey and my minutes and data aren't valid for Channel Islands 

AnnS

The only thing that can be suggested @Skv22 is to complete a manual roam, when completed select manual and not automatic.  The phone should only be able to connect to an Isle of Man network.

Follow this link: Manual Roam 

Thanks! That's worked for me today on Manx Telecom network. It didn't like either MT or Sure yesterday... 👍

Just seen your post and I can confirm that my problem was the local network.  There are two networks available, Manx Telecom & Sure.  If you go into your phone's settings and manually connect to MT you will have no problems and receive the "Welcome to the IoM" message.  If you leave network connections on "Auto" it will at some point connect to Sure and that is where the anomaly lies. You would then receive the "Welcome to Guernsey" message and no free roaming.  

Just seen your post and I can confirm that my problem was the local network.  There are two networks available, Manx Telecom & Sure.  If you go into your phone's settings and manually connect to MT you will have no problems and receive the "Welcome to the IoM" message.  If you leave network connections on "Auto" it will at some point connect to Sure and that is where the anomaly lies. You would then receive the "Welcome to Guernsey" message and no free roaming.  

Yes, location is turned on & I have carefully double checked all phone settings