Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using PAYG Number whilst Teaching Abroad

Alexandra0020
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

So I have recently put in my request to migrate from pay monthly contract to pay as you go. I will be moving abroad to South Korea to teach English and want to keep my UK number active so friends and family can still reach me using WhatsApp and Facebook etc. I will be topping up with around £20.00 credit so that I can send a text every 180 days to keep my number active.

The contract is for 12 months  but if I decide to renew my contract and stay another 12 months will my number be deactivated for any other reason if I continue to send a text every 180 days? I plan to return to the UK probably at least once every 12 months to visit family and friends but if I didn’t would my number be cut off? I will be provided with a Korean number but that will be so I can use it for communication on the go over there. I will be using my own phone and Vodafone sim for WIFI purposes only so that I can speak to people on WhatsApp. That way if I do ever decide to come back permanently I still have the same number active for me. 

Id just rather check this in advance on what’s the best practice to do so, thank you! 

1 REPLY 1

Thomas_H

We do have a roaming fair use policy but that only applies to pay monthly services. If you've moved your number to Pay as you go - as long as you keep topping up and using your phone every 180 days it will stay connected. 

You don't need your original number to be able to keep in contact on Whatsapp. When you swap the SIM all the previous messages will stay in the app and you can continue as normal.