Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Refused credit - as a result of Equifax error

chrisphillers
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,
I applied for a phone contract via Carphone Warehouse and my application was refused, turns out checking my Equifax account they had my address incorrect on all my active financial accounts (a mistake on their side, no other credit agency has this random flat number, and none of my bank accounts have ever been associated with the flat number on Equifax).

I have corrected this with Equifax - what are my options now? Can I dispute this or ask Carphone Warehouse to do so? My credit rating is nigh on perfect bar this refusal, no reason for it to be refused.

Would applying again not be wise? (I will miss out on a good deal if I dont get it this month).

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Carphone Warehouse are a third party reseller @chrisphillers and you would need to ask them this question.  If you Google Carphone Warehouse credit checks there will be something on the website.

It usually takes credit agencies 30 days to update information.  The advise from Vodafone would be to wait 90 days before reapplying, this gives your credit file time to recover from the previous declined check.

Well given this is obviously their mistake I am hoping they correct it fast. 90 days means I miss out on all these deal sadly - so annoying. Thanks.

Hi @chrisphillers If the credit application was made via a third party, you'd have to see if you could appeal it with them. You would be able to use our form.

Thank you @Janey 

I was wondering, if I simply reapply without disputing (and my credit agreement is fixed) is it possible it will pass, or because I was refused the original stance will remain?

Generally, most companies will advise to you wait as the outcome will remain until a certain amount of time has passed, @chrisphillers. I'd recommend double checking this with mobiles.co.uk though to clarify what the best way forward with them may be. 

Thank you - I have appealed the original decision with the credit file now fixed (although they have now put a notice of correction on there mentioning my existing address 😩 - which I have now asked to have removed.)

Thank you for updating us and it's great to hear the team have now fixed the credit file. If you have asked the team to remove the address, they will check if that can be done and confirm what steps they have taken to help fix this.

Lucy_F

Hi @chrisphillers If a credit check has been ran by us, you can appeal the outcome via the form found here.

Hi Lucy, well it was via mobiles.co.uk, however on my credit report it states it was Vodafone, does that mean I can appeal via you? Thanks