Roaming Charges - Receive SMS Only

fractal
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all,

• I will be travelling to Singapore.
  • I have a Pay Monthly contract.
  • I bought my plan in November 2022.
  • I will turn data roaming OFF throughout my trip (via my device).
  • I will NOT be using my phone to make any calls, send any SMS nor use any data.
  • However, I will have my phone turned ON so that I can RECEIVE SMS messages.

The Vodafone Roaming Charge Checker webpage at https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/costs-and-charges/travelling-abroad states that roaming charges of £6.85 will be charged per day, where "A day starts from the time when roaming is detected and lasts for 24 hours. ". But the same webpage states that "It's always free to receive standard rate calls and texts.".

My question is - what constitutes "when roaming is detected"? By simply having my phone turned on, and it connecting to a local network in Singapore, does that constitute a detection event in which case will I be charged roaming charges even if I do not make any calls, send any SMS or use any data? As stated above, I only wish to receive SMS messages only. Given all of the above, should I expect to be charged any roaming charges?

Thank you in advance! :Smiling:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Telco2023
2: Seeker

Hi @fractal

If you have data roaming turned off and make sure you dont make any calls or texts, you shouldnt incur any charges as receiving SMSs are free. You can also set up roaming bars on your account or set your Spend Manager limit to £0 to ensure you dont have any roaming charges but still be able to receive SMS's.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

Telco2023

Hi @fractal

If you have data roaming turned off and make sure you dont make any calls or texts, you shouldnt incur any charges as receiving SMSs are free. You can also set up roaming bars on your account or set your Spend Manager limit to £0 to ensure you dont have any roaming charges but still be able to receive SMS's.

RyanHaris

The exact criteria for when roaming is considered "detected" can vary depending on your mobile service provider's policies and technical setup. Generally, when your phone connects to a local network in another country, it may be considered roaming. This can happen when your phone is turned on and automatically connects to a foreign network, even if you don't make calls, send SMS, or use data.

Receiving SMS messages while roaming typically does incur charges. It's essential to check with your mobile service provider to understand their specific policies and rates for roaming in Singapore.