Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlock iPhone bought from Carphone ware house

sajalpal
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have bought a Iphone from CPW with a pay monthly deal on EE. I have not inserted the EE sim in the 'Unlocked' phone yet. I intend to use my already in use Vodafone SIM (12 months SIM only deal of hich 8 months in use) in the new Iphone .  This will of course lock the phone to Vodafone as this is the first SIM that will be inserted.

Will Vodafone be able to unlock this new phone ? Or will CPW register this Phone with EE hence Vodafone can't unlock it even if the first SIM was Vodafone in which case I may be in a limbo where Vodafone can't unlock the phone and the phone is locked to Vodafone but registered under EE network by CPW.

I have seen post suggesting Vodafone doesn't see the IMEI . I really don't want to play ping pong between Vodafone , EE , CPW and Apple so need some clarity . I need to know what the best way of getting the phone unlocked.

Regards

S

1 REPLY 1

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

MHi @sajalpal

It was indeed the case that iPhones purchased from Cpw locked out to the first SIM card inserted. 

Edit > However the last time I looked on their website and small print concerning their iPhones they now sell unlocked sim free iPhones but as you've bought this on Contract you'd need to just double check your model bought. Peace of mind. 

Please do double check yourself on their site and maybe via their customer service on 0870 087 0870

What I can personally see is "All Apple iPhones are now unlocked when purchasing through Carphone Warehouse." from Here.

People had issues previously because they were being told Cpw arrange the unlock and Cpw then telling the owner it's the Network that has to do this which is 100% correct. 

Most I'm sure then spoke to their Network and as long as they fulfilled the criteria to unlock then that happened. 

If difficulties existed in regards to unlocking for some reason then in Vodafones case a good workaround is to use a Vodafone Payg SIM card in the phone for 30 days making calls etc and then request the unlock using the Payg details. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.