Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Refusal to unlock Huawei P20

ecorme7
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have had my Huawei P20 since November 2018, so I am well out of the original contract period. I bought it via Carphone Warehouse and have always used this phone with my current contract. 

I'm trying to get the phone unlocked. I've asked Vodafone for the NUC code, but they won't give it to me. They keep telling me to go to the original seller - Carphone Warehouse. Carphone Warehouse cannot unlock the phone - the network has to do it. I have explained this to VOdafone repeatedly via Twitter, DMs, even gone into store. But all I get are standard generic messages that keep telling me to go back to the original seller. 

I have explained MULTIPLE times that Carphone Warehouse cannot unlock the phone for me. 

It's like my own personal living hell going round in circles getting the same banal responses day after day. 

I would like Vodafone to take some responsibility and accountability. As the network the phone is locked to, give me the NUC code and let me unlock the phone. Please. Pretty please. With a cherry on top. Thank you.  

10 REPLIES 10

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Vodafone can't unlock an already unlocked phone  @ecorme7 . All devices sold by Carphone would have come unlocked. 

If you have tried an alternative SIM in the phone and are having problems it won't be due to locking. 

I've had the phone for over 4 years. I've checked the status. It is definitely locked to the Vodafone network. I would like Vodafone to send me the NUC code.

AnnS

Try an alternative SIM in the phone. If the phone came from Carphone it wouldn't  be locked. 

Done that. The phone is locked. I did do all the obvious stuff before coming here. 

AnnS

When you try the alternative SIM in the phone what message comes up on the screen?

Carphone buy and sell their phones unlocked. 

@ecorme7 I have asked you for the message you receive when inserting the alternative SIM in the phone because apart form the iphone (although this stopped after the Ofcom ruling at the end of 2019) Carphone never locked any other phones to the network, only the networks locked phones.

If you mention the message you receive, this will give the Social Team something to go on when they get t the thread and they will be able to help with the reason you are unable to use an alternative SIM in the phone.

Good grief. THE PHONE IS LOCKED. Why is that so hard to understand?!!!

BandOfBrothers

Hi @ecorme7 

Your 100% correct that CPW cannot unlock a phone to all network's.

They simply cannot generate an unlock / Nuc !

Why Vodafone Support is continually sending you back to them is not clear as they should know / will know this.

You could raise this via > Complaint > Code-of-practice. 

Or although you shouldn't have to you could approach a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phone's or a reputable online unlocking site although they will both charge a nominal fee to unlock a phone.

As I said you shouldn't have to consider this route and I only mention this as a last resort and depends on how much longer you wish to soend your time and resources unlocking this particular phone.

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you @BandOfBrothers I'm going to try the chat one more time to see if I can get anywhere. It is a level of frustration I have never experienced!!

Update. After a lot of going round in circles, I finally got a customer service agent to admit that Vodafone CAN get a NUC even though I bought the phone from Carphone Warehouse. They have sent a request direct to the NUC team who will request the NUC from Huawei and come back to me in 3-5 days. Watch this space!!

So for anyone else being fobbed off, Vodafone CAN give you a NUC even if you didn't buy it from them directly. They just don't like doing it.