Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking iPhone

gareth2689
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So I upgraded my pay monthly contract phone in April and want to give my old iPhone 8 Plus to a family member but need it unlocked. Only found out after I have swapped pay monthly sim to my new phone that I need to request a NUC from Vodafone. So rather than putting my old sim back in old phone and transferring everything back I just got a PAYG sim and put it in my old phone and topped it up with £5 credit and have been using it to send to some txts, calls and use some data. 

Did this for more than 30 days and filled out NUC only to get email back saying it could not be completed as the sim hasn’t been used for more than 30 days. Contacted Vodafone web chat who confirmed the sim has been used for more than 30 days and so they put in a NUC request from their side and said it would be completed in 72 hours. 2 days later I got another email again saying NUC could not be completed as I didn’t fulfil the criteria for NUC. Contacted web chat again and the agent told me that I had buy a bundle on the PAYG sim and use it for 30 days before I could request an NUC. I don’t see anywhere on the Vodafone site where it says that a bundle must be purchased. It only says the sim has to be used for 30 days or more. 

From reading different posts on the forum here it seems almost impossible to get an Iphone unlocked from Vodafone. Just wondering has anyone successfully done it yet and if so how? 

1 REPLY 1

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@gareth2689 

You are correct.

A person just needs to have been using the Payg card for 30 days in the phone making calls etc.

There isn't a requirement to buy a Big Value Bundle.

How-do-I-get-a-Network-Unlock-Code-NUC. 

Perhaps try the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries 

To add.....

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting a Nuc {unlocking code} like other phone models are, but instead is unlocked remotely by Apple themselves and their Database.

So no actual Nuc is sent by Vodafone UK. 

The Vodafone Network lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your Nuc online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too) 

Please Note > The iPhone isn't actually usually unlocked to all networks at this stage when Vodafone email you. 

What happens is Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take Apple approximately from a few days upto a further 30+ days sometimes from Vodafone's email to complete an unlock request made by a Network. 

To complete the process please periodically insert an active i.e. connects to mobile network data, alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone with hooking upto iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older although it wouldn't harm to do so. 

From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process. 

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.