Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Used iphone unlocking

Bethanybee
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all

Hopefully someone can help I bought a secondhand iPhone 6 that is locked to Vodafone and I need it unlocking but when I try through Vodafone they never send me the code or whatever it is I need which I’m guessing is because I’m not the original owner, does anyone know how I’d go about unlocking it, I’ve read online that if I pay for Vodafone credit and use it for a while then Vodafone might unlock it but that seems pointless as surely they could just unlock it if I pay for some credit. 
any help/information/advise would be great, thanks beth

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Bethanybee 

The criteria is the phone has been used on the Vodafone network and hasn't been reported as lost or stolen. If you have used the phone on the network as PAYG and made a few chargeable activities the IMEI should be registered with Vodafone.

As you will have noticed on previous threads, there is no code for an Apple device, the phone is unlocked remotely on Apple servers, just place an alternative network SIM in the phone or synchronise to Finder.  If Apple have process the unlocking you will get a message on the screen to let you know the device is unlocked.

Thankyou AnnS

the phone currently has a Vodafone payg sim inside it but with no credit I bought it to just make sure the phone worked the way it should, thanks again

BandOfBrothers

Some reputable online unlocking sites or a Highstreet Store that advertise they unlock iPhones can help but they would charge a fee.

Just a thought as a last resort @Bethanybee 

For Vodafone to provide an unlock you'd need to use the iPhone on the network for 30 days making calls etc so the phone's serial number latches onto the payg account.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thankyou bandofbrothers I have already tried this with a seller I found on ebay but they couldn’t do it either but looking at the majority of the iPhone Vodafone unlocking services on ebay it looks like they just ask Vodafone for the free unlocking service and charge the buyer for doing so. 

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @Bethanybee 👋

You'll need to use one of our Pay as you go SIMs in the phone for 30 days, to allow us to unlock it and you can order a free one online here 

Alternatively, you can also ask the original owner to request for it to be unlocked via our Network Unlock form here 🙂

Apple iPhones don't need a physical unlock code like other phones, as @AnnS has mentioned above - all you need to do to complete the unlock is to pop the non-Vodafone SIM in and you'll be prompted to sync to iTunes to finish the process 📱

I don’t know the original owner unfortunately the phone came from my local cash generator I might just add a little credit and just call my current number or text just to use the credit hopefully that will be enough, thanks for all the help everyone.