Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iphone 7 - sim not supported

matrix_it
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, i have the above device and it works as it should when i have a voda sim in it, soon as i take it out and put in a differ a carrier it states sim cannot be activated or supported although it picks up signal and i can take calls on it, can you please help in resolving this issue?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Thats means the iPhone is locked to Vodafone and you'll need to request it's unlock @matrix_it so it'll accept another network's sim card.

unlock-code-request. 

Unfortunately you can't be helped from the forum.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi, i tried this on the NUC page but it did not accept the IMEI?

AnnS

Hi @matrix_it 

The first question to ask is : Are you the original owner of the phone?

This is a strange one, the alternative SIM say sim cannot be activated or supported but the phone still picks up signal and you are still able to take calls on the phone.

I am thinking along the lines of the phone having not been officially unlocked through Apple or not having your Apple ID.  It may be that the phone needs to be updated to the latest iOS.

A good link here from Apple: If you can't activate your iPhone 

Hi, Yes i am the owner and it has the latest iOS. Indeed it is strange and the signal does appear but the sim activation screen remains on the screen. 

AnnS

Yes @matrix_it 

You would have purchased the phone directly from Vodafone or did the phone come from an alternative source?

If you are able to accept calls using the alternative SIM the phone must already be unlocked.  If you can try with an alternative SIM to the one you are using, this will be a good test to rule out a SIM issue.

It would also be worth contacting Apple about the problem here: Apple Support 

I have tried with a Three sim & EE sim, both with exactly the same result. I think ti maybe be partially unlocked as i can receive calls but when i go into settings it does state its locked to a carrier.

AnnS

Hi @matrix_it 

I am confused.

Did you purchase this phone direct from Vodafone to go with a contract or as PAYG and then have the phone officially unlocked through the network or purchase through a third party or as secondhand as an unlocked phone?

One thing for sure it's a phone issue, it looks like a previous attempt at unlocking has partially worked. As you would have the phone registered to your Apple icloud account,  If you have not already tried restoring to itunes, this would be worth a try.