Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Consumer Law Claim for iPhone 6 plus

Nasona
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Dear Sir

Under the  UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 I have a right of compensation for manufacturing defects.

Apple has acknowledged the defect with the  iPhone 6+ handset and have confirmed that I'm entitled to a consumer law claim with the original vendor - Vodafone.  I have now had two Iphone 6 plus with the grey flickering screen caused by a chip inside the device that becomes dislodged. Apple agree that it is a manufacturing issue. Yet I've been given the complete run around by both Apple and Vodafone.

I would like to bring this to a speedy conclusion. 

18 REPLIES 18

Alex - i don't seem to have had a reply from you?

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Nasona Have you been able to get in touch with us via the link @DaneB provided? If so, you should've received an automated reply via email, with a reference number which looks something like this [#12345678]. 

Please let us know this reference and we'll be able to ensure someone is looking into this further for you 😊

• Old forum post, but Vodafone still seem to be trying to state their contract supersedes the statute law of the UK 
  • they have the audacity to ask me to take a copy of the relevant law to a local shop!
  • customer service has been abysmal.
  • ipad pro 256gb bought from them in 2019, fails to charge, it’s at the Vodafone repair shop and they want to charge me £600 for the repair. 
    rang Vodafone customer service and they state their contract supersedes the law of the land and unless I pay the £600 they will send it back to me I repaired.
  • I think they are pushing me down the only option available, which is legal action, I don’t want to, but their attitude stinks.
  • Apple accept the consumer law with a web page outlining it.
  • Vodafone should be taking it up with them
  • https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/uk/

My Ipad wouldn't boot after an update installation from iTunes. I called Apple support who went through a number of options over the telephone with me and confirmed that a genuine fault within the iPad was to blaim. To enable them to confirm the fault and establish what the problem was, they booked an appointment for me at the Cambridge Apple Store Geniuous Bar, this was on Friday 30th April. Their tech fully inspected the iPad, reported no visbale damage, no mechanical damage to the connectors or case of the iPad and established, after connecting the iPad to their test equipment, that a fault excisted within the iPad, they also informed me that I should return it to the Vodafone store, make them aware that I wanted to do a consumer law claim and request that it be returned for your inspection, although I do have a copy of Apple's test report ATTACHED showing their full technical test and appraisel. Given that the Vodafone store is directly opposite the Apple store in Grand Arcade, Cambridge I went into the store (this is the original branch where I purchased the device, (a previous iPad and two iPhones in recent years), initially speaking to a member of staff who told me, and I quote "if your iPad is out of contract and warranty their is nothing that we can do" I mentioned my statutory consumer rights and asked them to send it back for your appraisel, he said "no". I of course then asked for the manager who repeated what the assistant had previously told me. I'm sure that you are aware of the fact that a customer is covered under Consumer Law legislation, the warranty is in addition to this, I have today spoken with our local Trading Standards Officer who assures me that I am covered under the above legislation and you do have a legal responsability to inspect the product (although I do have evidence from the manufacturers desinated sevice representative as they have already done this and establshed a fault within the device). Please either arrange collection, request that I return this (at your cost) or discuss the matter with your Cambridge store to arrange for its safe return. Your staff were unfriendy, unhelpful and unwilling to provide a solution to the problem. I am currently a Vodafone subscriber and considering upgrading my Iphone, although it's now unlikely that this will be via Vodafone after such a shocking experience! I await your reply via email, should you wish to speak with me you can reach me on my Vodafone mobile ##~## 
[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal information, please see Community Guidelines]

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@DibsFlinders We'd cover the device under our warranty period, outside of this, we can still repair a device however this may have a charge attached to it. 

If there was a fault with a device outside of our warranty period, then ultimately it'd be up to the device manufacturer if they wanted to cover this and repair it free of charge. 

This wouldn't go through us and would need to go through them directly. 

Ok -my phone broke just after 3 months after it was replaced for exactly the same problem as my original phone broke. Apple did confirm they would accept the consumer law claim but only if approached by Vodaphone-the original retailer

Hello Alex,

I'm afraid that Vodaphone are not above the law (Under consumer laws in the UK, consumers are entitled to a free of charge repair or replacement, discount or refund by the seller, of defective goods or goods which do not conform with the contract of sale. For goods purchased in England or Wales, these rights expire six years from delivery of the goods and for goods purchased in Scotland, these rights expire five years from delivery of the goods) I'm surprised that as the voice of Vodafone you are unaware the rights of consumers in the UK, perhaps you should check with someone within your organisation to establish Vodafones legal position before it is misrepresented! Be advised that your CEO Nick Jeffery has now been made aware of the situation and has been contacted at the following email address [Removed]  You may wish to remove his email address but it has been included so that you understand the severity of the situation! Please also understand that because the Ipad was sold to me over the counter as a retail sale from retail premises in Grand Arcade Cambridge, the Trading Standards Officer has been contacted for Cambridge and will be investigating the matter further as it's a breach of consumer regulations within his area. Enforcement action could be taken against the store which would result in adverse publicity for Vodafone. This is all because of your inability as a company to recognise a genuine problem that is covered under UK legislation! Perhaps better training of Vodafone management staff instore as well as online staff would result in better customer service as well as meeting your legal obligations as a retailer! 

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@DibsFlinders We could look into the repair of your iPad, however it'd need to be sent off to our Repairs team by one of our Vodafone stores

Please take this in so we're able to progress with your query and let us know how you get on 🙂 

techblogger911
4: Newbie

You can always update your communication to apple and Vodafone for you have the full rights to demand a replacement.