Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

chistery
16: Advanced member

You can get an eSIM from today from EE to convert your PAYM SIM to an eSIM.

@digitalberg wrote:

iOS 12.1 is ready to download from Software update and now let's see when Vodafone and EE announcing the eSim support on iPhone XS! 

Regards

EE are officially supporting eSim from today.

You have to either go into store for a QR code or ring 150 and they will send you a QR code.

You then register the QR code on your device, it will show it active with no phone number for those swapping sim.
You then go on the EE sim swap site https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/app/activate-sim/ and choose activate replacement SIM/eSIM.

Done and dusted - where is Vodafone :Sad_face:

chistery

Apple never said Vodafone UK would support eSIM from launch, so it's not like anyone can complain about it (though they will)

@chistery wrote:

Apple never said Vodafone UK would support eSIM from launch, so it's not like anyone can complain about it (though they will)

Very true, I moved as I wanted the new device for the cheapest price and be close to getting eSim, I do think Voda will have it by the end of the year.

@chistery

Damn - Where are you Vodafone? - Show the World that you are the best! :Smiling:

@digitalberg wrote:

Damn - Where are you Vodafone? - Show the World that you are the best! :Smiling:

It’s annoying that Voda head quarters are here Voda Germany already have it. 

Voda Spain have changed to later this year. 

It's a shame, but I've just received my PAC so I'm off to EE until Vodafone get themselves organised

Vodafone UK support Apple Watch cellular now. I recently purchased a cellular Series 4 Watch. It took a week and lots of painful phone calls but it has been paired to the network and is working finally. This uses eSIM.

Is the eSIM technology in the Watch and the eSIM technology in the iPhone different in someway? If not I can't understand why this wouldn't already be supported if the technology is already there.

When I called to activate my Watch I was asked for the eSIM EID (long 32 digit number). On my iPhone XS Max since updating to iOS 12.1, the EID for the built in eSIM has been added to the "About" page. So what would stop me from calling Vodafone and claiming I am pairing another Watch to a different phone on my account with that EID? 

@fsociety wrote:

Vodafone UK support Apple Watch cellular now. I recently purchased a cellular Series 4 Watch. It took a week and lots of painful phone calls but it has been paired to the network and is working finally. This uses eSIM.

Is the eSIM technology in the Watch and the eSIM technology in the iPhone different in someway? If not I can't understand why this wouldn't already be supported if the technology is already there.

When I called to activate my Watch I was asked for the eSIM EID (long 32 digit number). On my iPhone XS Max since updating to iOS 12.1, the EID for the built in eSIM has been added to the "About" page. So what would stop me from calling Vodafone and claiming I am pairing another Watch to a different phone on my account with that EID? 

They are different.. for example the Apple Watch does not receive or send sms messages this is all done by the watch using sms relay....  ie you watch won’t get sms if your phone is off..     the watch does not support voicemail...   brioadcast message or several other things

Hang on a minute. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if the phone is switched off/left at home and the Watch is connected to the cellular network directly rather than the phone, I thought the whole point was that the watch could then use the cellular network to make/receive phone calls, send/receive SMS and send/receive data over LTE for things like iMessage. SMS is cellular so if the watch can make and receive calls, surely it should be able to send and receive SMS too. Is this a limitation by WatchOS? Also Voicemail, this should surely still be possible as what if someone calls me and I can't answer? Will it still even go to voicemail?