Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

Correct.

If my iPhone is off or out of contact, my Apple watch connects to the celular network and I can make and receive calls and send text messages.

Robin

@fsociety wrote:

Hang on a minute. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if the phone is switched off/left at home and the Watch is connected to the cellular network directly rather than the phone, I thought the whole point was that the watch could then use the cellular network to make/receive phone calls, send/receive SMS and send/receive data over LTE for things like iMessage. SMS is cellular so if the watch can make and receive calls, surely it should be able to send and receive SMS too. Is this a limitation by WatchOS? Also Voicemail, this should surely still be possible as what if someone calls me and I can't answer? Will it still even go to voicemail?

if the phone is OFF the watch will only get imessage NOT sms...    if the phone is on, but at home it will relay the sms via imessage to and from your watch

the thing to remember is the watch actually has its own phone number is does NOT share the same number as your phone.. the network is setup to send calls to both phone numbers.. but sms  are only sent to the main number then forwarded by the phone

Perhaps I have misunderstood the intended functionality of the cellular features of the Watch then?

So if I am out without my phone are you saying that if someone tries to call my normal number or send me an SMS (say from an Android device), that I will not receive those calls or those messages?

if you phone is off you will only get calls and imessages

if your phone is on you will get sms and all the phone notifications

i just tried to double check, turn the phone off sent myself a text and it did not come through until the phone was on again then it hit my watch ipad and macbook..

so if you are out and want sms's leave you phone on

and i sent an sms from the watch.. which was held in a queue on my watch until the phone was on again

My understanding is that although Vodafone do issue a seperate number, the fact is the watch and iPhone SHOULD share the same number.

unfortunatly you understanding is wrong... as ive said above and just tested..

its simple.. turn your phone off and get someone to send you a sms..  you will not get it until the phone is on...

the watch is all done by network trickery....  which is why you can not just setup the esim in the phone in the same way as the watch

it simple to calidate what i say but turning you phone on and finding out for yourself...  im fully aware as ive had cellulat watch since model 3 and the EE setup is the same

Also see here (pay particular attention to note #1 at the very bottom):

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205547

This is how the Apple Watch works on cellular. 

OK. Yes I have just tested this. Kind of.

I put my phone into Airplane mode. On the Watch I was able to make a call. Recieve a call. I cannot recieve SMS from an Android device though. It didn't come through until I turned off AirPlane mode off.

So are you saying that if the phone is just left at home and turned on, but out of range from the Watch (say I'm on a bike ride and leave the phone at home), will the SMS be relayed to the Watch then?

Yep. As long as wherever you left your iPhone it still has a cellular or Wi-fi connection to relay the SMS.