main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

iOS

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

12: Established

@rasputin1969 wrote:

That's not how I read it. The way I read it is that EE will be the only UK carrier to offer an eSim plan, so all unlocked phones will thus be able to sign up to an EE plan as a secondary line.

Yes, that's correct.

What you can't do (for now) is convert your existing Vodafone SIM to an eSIM and then use another SIM in the phone.

View more options
2: Seeker

Guys,

Some inside information from Vodafone. eSIM services are not new to vodafone and they are provide eSIM services to apple watch and some other business IoT system ( credit card reader and etc). Vodafone is working extending the eSIM service for the new iPhones and I assume you can imagine the effort required and need to spend on training to relevant staff, stores and test the technical process in place to convert nano/micro sim to eSIM.

This services is successfully implemented in SPAIN and Germany counters of vodafone group. Don't be disappointed for not seeing vodafone name of list yet.  Currently EE is only one who have defined process and hence their name is listed on Apple site. Talking about other providers, O2 annouced it will be H1 2019, Three in Q1 2019. Lets hope vodafone will share some info by the time apple will activate this feature.

View more options
1: Seeker

There is an option in the sim swap section of the website. I am running iOS 12.1 beta and the digital sim second line is available on my XS max. I just entered the EID number and it was accepted. Watch this space 

View more options
4: Newbie

Definately looks like they are gearing up to launch it when 12.1 is released.

IMG_4640.jpgIMG_4641.jpg

View more options

Hi all, we're working hard with apple to get this service to our customers as soon as possible. We don't have a confirmed date for this yet, when we do it'll listed on our Coming Soon page first.  

View more options
2: Seeker

@Zitwarbler wrote:

There is an option in the sim swap section of the website. I am running iOS 12.1 beta and the digital sim second line is available on my XS max. I just entered the EID number and it was accepted. Watch this space 

Quick question, which website are you referring to, as I am also running 12.1 beta and would like to try it out

View more options
10: Established

MyVodafone. Swap your SIM section in the menu.

View more options

Don’t try it. It’s for Apple Watch. 

I tried it and it deactivated my current SIM. 

I had to get a new SIM from Vodafone to get back on air. 

View more options

It has no logic to be for Apple Watch only. Probably it is used for Apple Watch at the moment and when the eSIM will be activated in 12.1, vodafone will support the beckend too.

View more options

The logic is at the end of the process it does not give you the relevant QR code or detail for entering into the Add Data Plan screen in settings. It just swapped my SIM.

I would imagine if you have a watch you choose the watch and enter it’s eid it then activates it. 

View more options

Looks like Vodafone maybe getting ready for esim and not just in the watch.  Although Apple’s website still only claim EE for esim. 

https://blog.vodafone.co.uk/2018/10/18/tech-trivia-what-is-an-esim-and-how-does-it-work/

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209096

View more options

We have some support for eSIM too :

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Getting-started-and-upgrading/Activate-a-new-SIM/1195049822/How-do-I-...

I think Vodafone will supporting from next week when 12.1 will activate it.

View more options

So the main difference is that it says choose your device.

Definately don’t get the option yet when you go to the site but I think you are right, I think 12.1 will be out this week/Friday. Unless the XR will ship with 12.0.1 and 12.1 comes out October 30th with the new iPads. 

View more options

There is an important question with eSim.

According to Vodafone support, who I called and spoke to at length, if you have a Vodafone purchased iPhone and a Vodafone sim in the physical sim slot, you will be able to add any third party carrier to the eSim when it is enabled in 12.1.

HOWEVER, according to Apples web site, if you have a locked iPhone, the eSim and physical sim both have to come from the same network.

So that is all nice and clear then!

View more options
12: Established

Seems clear to me. if you buy a phone from a carrier that locks the SIM to their network, you can only use their SIMs until you unlock it, eSIM or physical SIM, they are locked to the carrier.

Same with the OnePlus 6T bieng launched. Why lock a dual SIM phone to the network? Networks need to be more open about their policies at the start.

View more options

Absolutely needs to be clear. 

It would make sense what Apple is saying - if it is locked to the network, both SIMs are. 

It is the device that is locked not the sim apparently!!

however we do give to the network the imei number and a dual sim phone as two of them 

View more options

I have the unlocked Xs so can’t wait to move my Voda contract to the esim so I can use my virgin nano sim as well no more carrying 2 phones

View more options

@catean wrote:

We have some support for eSIM too :

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Getting-started-and-upgrading/Activate-a-new-SIM/1195049822/How-do-I-...

I think Vodafone will supporting from next week when 12.1 will activate it.

I have some further thought to this. 

I wonder if it hasn’t just changed and changed in September when the watch came out. I don’t have the watch so am unsure what appears when you do have a watch on the contract but it wouldn’t surprise me if you do then there is an option to select device already. Either phone, which would take you to normal SIM swap or Watch which would take you to esim. 

Can an anyone who has the watch take a screen shot of the screens?

View more options

Interestingly again Vodafone UK is showing maintenace to My Vodafone on the evening of the 30th to the monrning of the 31st, this coincides with a few a hours after the Apple event.

Maybe updates to esim!!!!

View more options

Reports circulating EE aren’t ready and their tests have failed. 

On the EE forum they all talking about Voda getting it before them but Voda still not on Apples list of supported carriers

View more options