Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moto g9 play xt2083 single vs dual sim

2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello, first post here. Vodafone have a cracking deal on the moto g9 play atm (£130 including £10 topup) but I am still not clear if that's the single or dual sim variant. This (and other sources) would suggest xt2083-3 is dual sim. Spoke to the vodafone webchat and the rep seemed adamant on two things:

1. it is exactly the -3 variant vodafone sell,

2. two "sub-variants" of the -3 exist: one single sim, one dual.

On one hand this seems possible, on the other hand it feels unlikely there would be such subvariants. Has anyone got any links to more articles to prove things one way or another? Or any personal experiences? I rated the webchat rep full marks because he was very helpful, but I am still not convinced. Hope all this makes sense.

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

That is indeed a good price - I see Argos have it for £159.99.

I bought a G8+ SIM free just over a year ago and that's dual-SIM - I wasn't aware that single-SIM versions are available in the UK.  Have you checked the Motorola website?

It's worth noting that the SIM tray will accept either 2 SIMs or 1 SIM and an sd card, but not all three at once, in common with most such devices.

They're nice phones and give you a great deal for your money.   They also run almost pure Android, with no manufacturer bloatware - apart from the Moto app that you use to customise certain functions.   The only issue I have with mine is that it doesn't always play nicely with my PlusNet (rebadged BT) wifi router.   All the G9 models come with NFC, which means you can use Google Pay (with the G8's, it was only the Plus model).

@hrym wrote:

I bought a G8+ SIM free just over a year ago and that's dual-SIM - I wasn't aware that single-SIM versions are available in the UK.  Have you checked the Motorola website?

It's worth noting that the SIM tray will accept either 2 SIMs or 1 SIM and an sd card, but not all three at once, in common with most such devices.

The official specs on the website  say

"SIM Card - Single SIM (1 Nano SIM + 1 microSD) | Hybrid Dual SIM (2 Nano SIMs/1 Nano SIM + 1 microSD)".

To me that seems incomplete information really, I would have liked motorola to provide an official breakdown of differences between xt2083-1 and xt2083-3 etc.

As it is, and to my understanding, those specs seem to just indicate that:

• some variants will only accept an sd in the second slot
  • some variants will accept either a sim or an sd in the second slot

But it remains unclear how that relates to different variant numbers (-1, -3 etc). And I am still unconvinced it's the "strictly single sim" variant that vodafone ship.

hrym

The only way to be reliably sure would be to view the device personally.   That means hanging on until Vodafone shops are open again.  The spec on the website only mentions nano-SIM, without specifying how many and Customer Services would only have access to the same information.   The forum team might be able to help if there happens to be one to hand in the office (assuming they're even in the office), but are otherwise likely to be similarly constrained.

Whenever someone has a particular requirement from a device, it's always best to view and buy in person rather than remotely, so it's probably best to hang on if you can.   The spec on the Argos website says theirs is dual-SIM and, if you do click and collect, the returns process, should it be necessary, would be simpler.   You'd pay a premium over the Vodafone price, but could have it now with an effective guarantee that it's the model you want.