Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Repair in current climate?

jc0098
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Of course my phone chooses the most inconvenient time to die. But seeing as stores are closed (and live chat appears to be flooded with various enquiries so it's full), what are my options? I haven't seen any sort of mail in service or whatever soooo?

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @jc0098 

The problem you are going to have now is being unable to get any phone repair done, it's considered non essentail whilst the country is stuck in the horrible lockdown for a further three weeks minimum.

It's the same with all repairs, garages are closed can't get the car serviced, the lawnmower repaired, the washing machine serviced and just about anything else repaired or serviced.

You options until we are out of lockdown and services get back to work is to borrow a phone or buy yourself a cheap phone online, it will always be useful as a back up phone or you can sell the phone on to recoup some of the money.

I guess buying a new phone is my only option. I'll look on ebay or whatever. It's really not ideal but I'm a key worker and can't go three weeks without being able to get work updates when I'm not there. Thank you though!

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome @jc0098 

Although eBay is an option you do need to be wary that in some cases a person has bought a phone from ebay and then some weeks later it's been blocked due to an insurance claim.

Asda sell phones if that's a help at all.

That or try someone you know.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hmmm sorry I am unfamiliar, what do you mean by blocked? As in, even if I use my own simcard, the transponder won't work (IE no texts and calls)

AnnS

Hi @jc0098 

I am glad to hear you agree with my reply and purchasing a phone for your use is the option until we are out of lockdown.

My suggestion would be to purchase from a reputable online company where you will have some comeback and warranty should there be an problem with the phone.

There is no problem purchasing from ebay but you need to be aware not all sellers are honest, quite a shame really, it gives the site a bad reputation for honest sellers who just need to sell a mobile phone.

hrym

If you need a working phone, it could be considered essential.   However, you wouldn't be able to take it to a Vodafone store.   It may be (indeed, I suspect it's quite likely) that the repair workshops are operating and you could send the phone by post.   The normal customer service channels are indeed running slowly, but you could contact the Social Media team via Facebook or Twitter and they'll be able to advise you.

Repairs aren't completely impossible - my car dealer is operational and has a handover system that maintains social distancing.   My washing machine packed up and the local repairer is working, though he advised it wasn't economic and we had to buy a new one (no installation or disposal option, though).

Given that everything is running more slowly than usual, you may well find that buying a temporary replacement gets you back up and running quickest.   You could go for something fairly basic and then pursue repair of your main device.

BandOfBrothers

@jc0098 wrote:

Hmmm sorry I am unfamiliar, what do you mean by blocked? As in, even if I use my own simcard, the transponder won't work (IE no texts and calls)

What can happen is you buy the phone from a seller on ebay @jc0098 

That person then a few weeks down the line reports the phone as lost or stolen to their network.

The network then imei blocks / blacklists the phone which means no sim card will work in it.

Having a phone working / repaired is essential as we all need to be connected and even more so in these unprecedented times and especially if a person is a frontline or key worker like you.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

BandOfBrothers

It is taking alot longer to get through to 191 or Live Chat but they are running.

We also have the Vodafone Social Media Team via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

Whats the issue with your phone as we might be able to help?

Customer services could send you a returns bag but personally I'd hold off until the stores re open.

How-do-I-book-a-device-in-for-repair. 

Can you ask someone you know if they have a back up / spare phone to use or buy one from Vodafone Online or Argos etc.

Or see what your upgrade options are i.e early upgrade / flexi upgrade.

Can-I-upgrade-my-phone-contract-early-with-a-Flexi-upgrade. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >