Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung A50 will not charge

JPascoe
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Samsung A50 is refusing to charge. I have only had the phone for 6 months or so.

In the last couple of days it will not charge with the official charger or when connected to a computer.

I have done a soft reset and I have wiped the cache partition. I have uninstalled recently installed apps. There is no visible damage to the charging port, nor is there any visible debris.

I am at my wits end as I rely on my phone for work and I am self-isolating during the coronavirus outbreak as classified as vulnerable.

Please help!

Many thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Can you try another charging plug and charging cord @JPascoe 

And if possible a wireless charging pad.

Please use a torch just to check the charging port again.

Unfortunately all the Vodafone Highstreet Stores and Samsung Experience Store  / Samsung Service Centres are temporarily closed.

I assumeit's not had an accidental bump and hasn't had any water in it.

i.e the water indicators are not tripped.

Are you able to speak to a family member / neighbour/ friend to see if they can lend you a phone.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

To add can you put the phone in Safe mode which disables any downloaded apps and leaves the stock apps working and then see what happens.

Current Phone  >

hrym

My first thought was to try a different cable, too.   I'd be surprised if an app was preventing charging and I'd probably pursue other avenues first.   You could try blowing carefully into the charging port in case there's debris - if you have an air duster, this would work too, though watch out for the fact that they sometimes eject a small amount of liquid, so test it first before using it close up.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @hrym 

Safe Mode is just a good tool to rule out many issues. It's astounding what some apps can do if they conflict with each other  :Smiling:

I've known people to use pressurised air before to try and dislodge debris but the worry is that the air drives debris and dust up into the phone. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Have tried Safe Mode - still won't charge

BandOfBrothers

Have you been able to use a Wireless Charger at all @JPascoe  ?

As I mentioned unfortunately with service centres and shops being closed right now this is going to severely impact on getting the phone looked at.

Was it Vodafone or Samsung that supplied the phone may I ask ?

This is why I suggested to acquire a phone to use in the interim until stores re open and people are no longer to self isolate or shield.

Some online shops still deliver phones such as Argos and some Asda Stores sell phones.

Obviously check what size sim it takes and check whether it's locked to Vodafone or unlocked to all network's.

Current Phone  >

Hi

Thanks for all your help - I really appreciate it.

I don't have a wireless charger I'm afraid, so can't try that.

The phone was supplied by Vodafone as part of my contract - unfortunately not to be renewed until Oct 2021!

I think I will have to purchase a cheap basic phone to get me through the lockdown.

BandOfBrothers

I appreciate not everyone uses or wants a wireless charger but it would have been a good process of elimination to rule out the charging port in the phone.

Shane a neighbour  / friend etc does not have one @JPascoe 

Yes please let us know how a factory reset goes.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

BandOfBrothers

Sorry that Safe Mode didn't help.

Perhaps consider backing up and then removing any relevant Sd card and then factory reset @JPascoe 

Current Phone  >