main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Samsung S8+ Video Calling

5: Helper

Hi @Alex,

Thanks for the info., but this is not true as the issue here is when we open call log the vedeo calling option is always greyed out and there are only 2 options on contact to either call or text when on other network or unlocked phone there are always 3 options on a contact to call, text or video call.

With only a contact number on phone and video calling option greyed out a phone cannot recognise only with a number that the other person have 4G or not. It is when we call them and it is not compatible then a relevant error message pops up usually.

Here we don't have any option to determine the other side have 4G or not as the option to make video call is not available at all for Vodafone customers.

Hope this explains.

Regards

Vicky R

View more options
2: Seeker

If you read all of the blog chain you will see that this doesn't make sense, and to be honest enforces with me that you really aren't getting what the issue is. Regardless of whether the call recipient is, my phone doesn't give me the option of video calling! It doesn't know before I have tried to call whether the other person is on 4G or not! 

View more options

Thanks for getting back to us @vicr76 and @Dennyjo8.

We'll need to take a closer look into your accounts and ensure that Wi-Fi Calling has been provisioned for Video Calling. So we can do this, please follow the details provided in the private messages that you've been sent and we'll be able to access your account securely and complete further troubleshooting. 

View more options

I have sent the relevant information asked for. But to be honest you really are confusing the issue. You said earlier in the week that both parties must be on 4G for this to work which is blatantly incorrect. And now you're saying it's too do with WiFi calling!! My faith in Vodafone fixing this issue for the potentially thousands of customers it affects looks more and more unlikely!

View more options

Hi @Natasha,

I have now filled the form and my EFT165 Ref. No. is #18281624.

I forgot to add this in my message to you or in my previous conversations- I have tried my current sim in my old Samsung Note4 (got from Carphone Warehouse on Vodafone contract) and it works fine. There is option available on all contacts for video calling so there is no problem with my wifi calling settings I guess.

Kind regards.

Vicky R

View more options

I have not heard from you or anyone for weeks, what is the status of this issue? Ironically, after finally getting Wi-Fi calling activated, your latest system update removed it again!!!! Although I don't think this is anything to do with the problem!

View more options
Administrator

@Dennyjo8 Our team is continuing to look into this behind the scenes. There's been no significant update, which is why we haven't updated this thread. 

Once we hear more, we'll be sure to let you know 🙂

View more options
Administrator

Hi all,

We've heard back from the teams investigating this for us. 

The phone is supported however Video Calling is only available when both devices are on 4G.

If you're attempting to make the call with Wi-Fi Calling active on your account and where both devices are displaying 4G connected then we'd need to follow troubleshooting with the device/network in your area. 

Please let us know if it's still not working for yourself when the above has been followed.

View more options

Hi @Alex,

What you stated is not a resolution.

There is issue with the video calling option which should appear in the call option what I mean is when we expand dailer on phone there should be option for Video Call, Call and Message as these are the options available on all other phones which are not provided by Vodafone even on display units in store.

But when it comes to Vodafone provided handsets there are only 2 options Call and Message.

On other phones there are no ristrictions to show Video Call option on dailer as if you select a contact there is no way any phone can recognise if the phone on other side got 4G or not. Once its connects the call then there may be chances but then there is where HD calls kicks in and you can then convert a normal call to a Video Call but that is not what we want as the phone shoud have this option like all other non Vodafone handsets.

Kind Regards

Vicky R

View more options

@vicr76 Please can you provide a screenshot of the error you're seeing when expanding your dialler to select Video Call as an option?

View more options

Hi @Josh,

There is no error but the problem is there is no option al all to make a video call.

Please the attached picture at the bottom only 2 options available either Call or Message.

Kind regards

Vicky R

View more options
17: Community Champion

Hi @vicr76

In order to make video calls, you need to download Call +, this is something I notice you are not using from your screenshot.  Please see below.

Vodafone Calling

What is Vodafone Call+ and how can I get it?

As an alternative, there are applications to download from the Play Store these include Hangouts and Skype (dependent on the person you are video calling also using the application).

View more options

Hi @AnnS,

Thank you for the info provided but this is not what I'm talking about as this is an app from Vodafone and this will only allow you switch to a video call not allow you to make direct video call and I guess that also possible if the other person as well is using the same network.

But my issue is with the option available on dailer (please see attached picture highlighted in yellow). Display units available in store got exactly the same otions but it is not available on the handsets provided to customers as they include Vodafone's bloatware when display units are directly provided by Samsung.

Regards

Vicky R

View more options

Vicky it is like banging your head against a brick wall with this. I have argued exactly what you have just said in past messages, as have others. Vodafone just don't want to admit their fault. I for one will not be renewing with them when my contract runs out!!

View more options

@vicr76 I can see from the attached images this should appear on the main interface for the dialler. However, this isn't the case with your handset as it is the one in store.

So we can identify if this is a settings preference, please can you advise whether your able to expand further options in the dialler which will allow you to make a video call directly? i.e. Is there a 'more options' button in the initial dialler interface? 

View more options

Hi @Josh,

Thanks for replying back.

To be honest, I don't think this is the issue with only mine or few handsets but this is the case with all Vodafone supplied handsets since Samsung S6. The hande sets at store got this option as they are not Voda suppluied handsets but are direct from Samsung so they don't have any Voda bloatware.

I have swapped 4 - S6s, 3 - S7s and 3 - S8s with the same issue and even head office agree to take return of my hanset after 8-9 months into contract with S6 as they submitted that there is an issue with Voda's software which I did but this issue never got sorted.

We including staff in 3 diffrent Voda stores checked and tried all setting but with no success.

Any way I have attacheced 3 pictures with all available options on the phone and a particular contact which is on Voda and included in Wifi and 4G calling list. Also for your info the phone (Samsung A8 2018) for this contact also don't have option to video call.

Kind regards.

Vicky R

We're unable to view the pictures added to your post @vicr76, please re-post these and we'll be able to help you further.

View more options

Hi @Mark,

That is strange as I can open them on my browser.

Anyway I will attach them again.

Kind regards

Vicky R

That's strange @vicr76, I would assume the option wouldn't be available of your handset wasn't set up for the video calling feature. So we can make sure you're correctly set up, please confirm you have Wi-Fi calling activated on your phone and both devices are in a 4G area, displaying 4G connection?

View more options

Hi @Mark,

I really appreciate the time you taking to sort this out but I don't understand form beginning of this post why everyone is asking to BOTH phones. This is a inbuild function in the phone so doesn't matter if the phone is on 4G or Wifi call activated the option to video call can't just appear or dissapear if ther options are available or not. That means if I switch off my mobile data or pot phone to Flight Mode and then open my dailer there there will be no option to call or message as well.

Video calling was introduced befor 4G and it was always displayed on dailer even on the old models like Samsung S2 ans S3 which don't support 4G. But for now with S8 if you check in my pics at the top it shows connected to 4G and my Wifi calling is also working fine but not 4G calling which never worked on my phone.

Kind regards.

Vicky R

View more options