Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Swap SIMs

Cheemag
4: Newbie

Hello,

When I replace my ageing Lenovo with a new phone, can I just transfer  my present SIM to the new phone, thus retaining my number ?

How best to transfer the content of my Contacts.

Cheers,

Cheemag

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

From previous threads @Cheemag ,  notice you're not a fan of synchronising contacts to Google, only that is the easiest and quickest way.

If the phone takes the same size SIM you should be be able to use the same SIM, otherwise you will need a replacement SIM from Vodafone or, with identification, a store can do a SIM swap.  At the same time, the store should be able to assist or advise on transferring your contacts.  If you complete a SIM swap Vodafone will send a security text to the phone, to receive the OTP keep the previous SIM in the old phone until this has been received.

Ways to move your contacts is by  bluetooth to the new phone. or just moving the contacts to the SIM or SD card.  Just go to contacts, three dots at the top > manage contacts where you will see the options.

I would certainly recommend asking this question on the internet.  There is a web page for '6 Ways:  How to Transfer Contacts from Android to Android'.   I am being cautious about sharing the link here.

Mark_Cummins

To swap SIM cards between devices, follow these general steps:

1. Turn Off Devices: Make sure both devices are powered off before you begin.

2. Eject SIM Cards: Locate the SIM card slot on each device. Use a SIM card ejector tool or a paperclip to gently press into the small hole near the slot and eject the SIM card tray.

3. Remove SIM Cards: Take out the SIM card from one device and place it in a safe location. Do the same for the other SIM card.

4. Insert SIM Cards: Place the first SIM card into the SIM card slot of the second device. Ensure that the metal contacts are facing down and the card fits snugly in the slot. Repeat this process for the other device.

5. Power On Devices: Turn on both devices and wait for them to fully boot up.

6. Check for Network Connection: After swapping the SIM cards, check if both devices are able to connect to the network and make calls. If there are any issues, you may need to restart the devices or check the network settings.

7. Update Carrier Settings: In some cases, if the devices are from different carriers or if you're switching between different types of devices (e.g., Android to iPhone), you might need to update the carrier settings. This can usually be done automatically by the device or by contacting your carrier's customer support.

It's important to note that SIM cards can vary in size (Standard, Micro, Nano), so make sure the SIM card you're swapping fits into the slot of the other device. Additionally, some carriers might require you to activate the new SIM card if you're using a different one, so be prepared for that possibility.

Always follow the device manufacturer's instructions and guidelines when swapping SIM cards, as the process might differ slightly between different models and brands.

Moraandrew
Hello Cheemag, Yes, you can transfer your present SIM to the new phone to retain your number. To transfer Contacts, you can use cloud services like Google Contacts or Apple iCloud for a seamless transition. Also, check out AC Football Cases

Hello All,

Thanks to all who replied. I am having trouble accessing this community forum, so

apologies.

I simply transferred the SIM and SD card and it all worked/

Unfortunately I made the mistake of using Google to transfer my contacts (although

they were already in the SIM !!), and now I have the Great Data Thief all over my phone.

Again thanks and apologies for belated replies.

Regards

Cheemag