Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VeryMe Rewards

alphillips
4: Newbie

Have tried downloading the Vodaphone app so I can access the rewards but it says that the app is no longer compatible.  I am assuming because I do not have the most up to date smartphone.  It's also not available online so what is the point in sending me emails and texts about it?

7 REPLIES 7

hrym
17: Community Champion

What version of Android are you running?   I've noticed that quite a few apps are no longer compatible with version 6, but that came out in 2015.   Given that most devices will get platform updates for two years, anything stuck on it is likely to be 7-8 years old and probably has a battery life that makes a goldfish look like Mr Memory.

Vodafone don't (afaik) associate your OS version with your account, so won't suppress information relating to incompatible products.   They might also think that you'd want to know what was available, even if your current device is incompatible.

I'm all for making phones etc last as long as possible, but technology and software advance and older devices simply can't cope any longer, making an upgrade pretty much inevitable.

I think it's 4.1.2 but I'm not technically minded so I'm not sure.  I use the phone for ringing people, texting and photos and new phones are very expensive.  I can't profess to understanding most of your message.

hrym

Android 4 is very old and I'm honestly surprised a device running it is fit for much or that the battery has much life left after all that time.  Certainly the storage will be very limited and there will be few apps that are compatible any more.

You can get a device running a more recent version of Android (probably 9 and upwards) for about £100 SIM free (some Nokias or the Motorola E series, for instance).   It will still have limited storage but, if you're not feeling constrained by what you have now, even 16gb may be sufficient.   You will, though, find that it has a much better screen and a faster processor.

If you need advice, any shop selling phones should be able to help you.

Thanks for your help.  For what I use it for, especially now working from home, £100 is money that would really be a waste.  So more likely to just get rid of the mobile when it finally gives up the ghost.

hrym

Unless you need a smartphone - one that runs apps - there are some basic ones that will do just calls and texts for very little money.  You might even find one that has a rudimentary web browser that would cover any data-related requirements.

Yes, thanks.  I'll have to had a think about what to do but I appreciate your advice.

hrym

You're very welcome.  I'm a moderate user and like to have a highish level phone, but have no need of a flagship monster costing somewhere in the region of £1000.   The good news on that front is that something that would have cost £500-£600 a few years ago can be bettered now by something costing around half the price.   Even budget devices are perfectly usable, though you need to watch out for things like storage capacity and working memory.