Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WI-Fi Calling, Android 12 and a Sony Xperia 1 ii

Creamer
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I see there are a few calls about WI-FI calling not working on a couple of devices.
I have a Sony Xperia 1 ii, and ever since it updated to Android 12 the WI-FI calling has disappeared.
I have been through various chats with different Vodafone teams and despite sending out the WI-FI config, and resetting my line, and a multitude of other things nothing seems to have fixed it.

I stick an EE sim into it, and the option is there straight away, I stick my Vodafone Sim in another device and again the option appears straight away. I really don't know where to go next as the Vodafone Tech has asked me to contact Sony as they basically don't know how to fix it.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same model of phone and OS and if it works ok, because I don't fancy a Factory reset on my phone just in-case.

14 REPLIES 14

MarkD

Hi @Creamer, thanks for the post, if you haven't visited our Vodafone website, we do have a setup guide here. Following on from your message, was the Wi-Fi calling working before you updated to the Android 12? The other device that you put the Vodafone SIM Card in to test, was this also running Android 12? 

Hello Mark,
Thank you for your response.

It was working before the upgrade from Android 11 to Android 12, but the option disappeared afterwards.

WI-FI calling appears on both an android 11 and an android 12 phone (Both Samsung) 
However WI-FI calling only appears on my Sony phone using an EE SIM, I have tried a different Vodafone SIM in my Sony Phone and still no WI-FI calling option. (My phone is not locked to any network)

The Guides are showing a different version of Android, it looks like it's moved around a little bit for Sony phones in Android 12, but still easy to find where it should be (As it appears with the EE SIM)

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I assume you have tried putting your phone in flight mode and turning wifi on, just to check to see if is working, even if you can't see the menu option?

Yes done that. and it didn't work
I think I had read that on this forum, so tried it then..
The support person also got me to try it as well.

I have the exact same problem. After Android 12, WiFi calling went. I tried different Vodafone sim in my phone and same problem. Put my Vodafone sim in a Xperia 5ii on A11 and WiFi calling worked. Put in an ee sim into my Xperia 1ii and straight away WiFi call option was there and worked. Put voda sim back in and WiFi calling gone. Factory reset my phone and even did software repair as instructed by Sony. Lost 4 years of data in the process and still no WiFi calling. In the past, I lost WiFi calling with a small update on this phone and what I did was I disabled WiFi calling from my Vodafone account for a few hours and re enabled it.  I got an OMA configuration message for WiFi calling and WiFi calling started to work again. That didn't work this time with Android 12. Super annoyed with Vodafone and Sony. They need to sort this rubbish out. What a joke. Nobody in Vodafone or Sony knows what's going on. Some people even have the cheek to say did you restart your phone or restart WiFi

My wife and my sister  have Xperia 5ii and they both have upgrade notifications. I told them not to update it as Vodafone in our area of London is terrible. Ive had lots of Sony phones and I have had lots of trouble with WiFi calling. On almost all of them. My wife had an Xperia 10ii and WiFi calling never worked on it to this day. Not even with ee sim. I recently bought her the 5ii and it just about started to work after a few updates. I'm not going to upgrade her phone to A12 until this is sorted. In future, I will only update my phone when I have good reception. If I'm in my house with no Vodafone reception, I won't carry out the update

Update. WiFi calling working. I received an update this morning for my 1ii and after the update, WiFi calling tab has appeared in the  calling settings menu. Point to note, there is no quick menu tab for WiFi calling like there is when you use an EE sim

Screenshot_20220330-103228.png

Screenshot_20220330-101359.png

I had an update to 58.2.A.2.80 this morning, but still no Joy. :Sad_face:

I have disabled the WI-FI calling and asked to re-enable. 
Waiting for it to be re-activated. which is usually quite quick but is taking an age..

Managed to re-enable WI-FI calling to my account. (Had to do it via the website as texting to 97888 or the App didn't seem to do anything)
Received the config and now WI-FI calling is showing and is turned on.. 
So success as last.

The one thing I did notice is that on EE you can set a preferred option, so if you have a fluctuating signal you can set it to always use WI-FI calling and avoid any signal swaps.. Vodafone doesn't seem to have this option.
So I'd recommend switching to a different provider if you find that WI-FI calling is a bit hit and miss where is keeps switching between Mobile and WI-FI calling.