cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why do you block WiFi calling for so many phones?

andyrm
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I understand you want to make money but is it not unfair to block WiFi calling for so many phones. For example I have a brand new oneplus 8 pro on Android 10 which has WiFi calling. You block that feature on your network. I understand you would prefer we all bought phones from you. Some of us want the advanced features of other models though. Technically this uses the same communications chip at other phones you support so I can't think of a technical reason for you not to do so. 

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @andyrm 

Vodafone don't " block " phones from using Calling Over Wi-Fi.

They are adding phones models as they test them.

However from the Vodafone wi-fi-calling page they do say this......

" Please note that phones bought from other UK telecom providers are unlikely to support our WiFi calling, with the exception of iPhones, which should work regardless.

Devices might be compatible when bought from third parties, we’re working with these other manufacturers to add our settings."

So if a phone has the capability of supporting Calling Over Wi-Fi then it may work. Indeed we have seen past posts from members who have said even though their phone wasn't on the official eligible phone list it worked.

Apple make iOS exclusively for their iPhones and iPads so nothing is added by networks to it's code.

Android is open sourced so network's add their own flavour to the firmware so they know things work with branded phones.

🌈Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I am aware of the page you reference - I was asking why? Why can't Vodafone  provide individual or generic profiles?  

Am not a tech expert but understand that the main Comms chip is common across many of these new devices is this difficult? Hence I wondered whether where it was just protectionist to maximise their own phone sales.  

hrym

I have a Moto G8 that has no wifi calling facility and I've investigated this in some detail.   As far as I can see, it won't work on any network and this appears to be because there's no native facility in Android.   In the first instance, Vodafone were adding the hooks in their version of the OS, but now it's down to the manufacturer.   Some suppliers run purer versions of Android than others and that can be where the issue arises, I believe.

So, no, Vodafone aren't blocking wifi calling, they're relying on the manufacturer to support it.

What I find arrange about this assertion that it is the manufacturers fault is that the same phone has WiFi calling on other networks internationally and I understand WiFi calling is available on EE. It's a pitywpity I live that the EE signal is so poor. There are times when you can't rely on WiFi calling even when you do have it